2011 Galaxy Community Conference, May 25-26, Lunteren, The Netherlands

2011 Galaxy Community Conference, May 25-26, Lunteren, The Netherlands

Dave Clements-2
Hello all,

We are pleased to announce the 2011 Galaxy Community Conference, being held May 25-26 in Lunteren, The Netherlands.  The meeting will feature two full days of presentations and discussion on extending Galaxy to use new tools and data sources, deploying Galaxy at your organization, and best practices for using Galaxy to further your own and your community's research.
Link: http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/

Overview
This event aims to engage a broader community of developers, data producers, tool creators, and core facility and other research hub staff to become an active part of the Galaxy community.   We'll cover defining resources in the Galaxy framework, increasing their visibility and making them easier to use and integrate with other resources, how to extend Galaxy to use custom data sources and custom tools, and best practices for using Galaxy in your organization.

Additional topics include, but are not limited to:
* Talks submitted by the Galaxy community
* Integration of tools (including NGS analysis tools) and distributed job management
* Deployment of Galaxy instances on local resources and on the Cloud
* Management of large datasets with the Galaxy Library System
* Using the Galaxy LIMS functionality at NGS sequencing facilities
* Visualizing Data without leaving Galaxy
* Performing reproducible research
* Performing and sharing complex analyses with Workflows
* An "Introduction to Galaxy" session, offered on May 24, for Galaxy newcomers.

Registration
The conference fee is €100 on or before April 24, and €120 after that.  The meeting is being held at the Conference Centre De Werelt in Lunteren, The Netherlands, which is also the conference hotel.  You are encouraged to register early, as space at the hotel (and at the "Intro to Galaxy" session) is limited and is likely to fill up before the conference itself does.
Link: http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/Register.html

Abstract Submission
Abstracts are now being accepted for short oral presentations.  Proposals on any topic of interest to the Galaxy community are welcome and encouraged.   The abstract submission deadline is the end of February 28.
Link: http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/Abstracts.html

Sponsors
The 2011 Galaxy Community Conference is co-sponsored by the US National Science Foundation (NSF), and the Netherlands Bioinformatics Centre (NBIC).  NBIC is a collaborative institute of the bioinformatics groups in the Netherlands. Together, these groups perform cutting-edge research, develop novel tools and support platforms, create an e-science infrastructure and educate the next generations of bioinformaticians.
Links: http://www.nbic.nl/ and http://www.nsf.gov/

We are looking forward to a great conference and hope to see you in the Netherlands!

The Galaxy and NBIC Teams

--
http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/
http://getgalaxy.org

Re: [galaxy-dev] 2011 Galaxy Community Conference, May 25-26, Lunteren, The Netherlands

Peter Cock
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Dave Clements <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We are pleased to announce the 2011 Galaxy Community Conference, being held
> May 25-26 in Lunteren, The Netherlands.  The meeting will feature two full
> days of presentations and discussion on extending Galaxy to use new tools
> and data sources, deploying Galaxy at your organization, and best practices
> for using Galaxy to further your own and your community's research.
> Link: http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/

This sounds great.

Further to the provided logistics page, would Amsterdam (AMS) be the nearest
international airport? Followed by a train to Lunteren (say under 2 hours?) then
a 15 walk to the Hotel/Conference Centre De Werelt?

http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/Logistics.html

Thanks,

Peter

Re: [galaxy-dev] 2011 Galaxy Community Conference, May 25-26, Lunteren, The Netherlands

Dave Clements-2
Hi Peter,

I believe that your suggested travel plan is indeed the best.  However, I'll confirm this with the NBIC folks and post the information here and to the web page, probably tomorrow.

Thanks,

Dave C.

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Peter Cock <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Dave Clements <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We are pleased to announce the 2011 Galaxy Community Conference, being held
> May 25-26 in Lunteren, The Netherlands.  The meeting will feature two full
> days of presentations and discussion on extending Galaxy to use new tools
> and data sources, deploying Galaxy at your organization, and best practices
> for using Galaxy to further your own and your community's research.
> Link: http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/

This sounds great.

Further to the provided logistics page, would Amsterdam (AMS) be the nearest
international airport? Followed by a train to Lunteren (say under 2 hours?) then
a 15 walk to the Hotel/Conference Centre De Werelt?

http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/Logistics.html

Thanks,

Peter

--
http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/
http://getgalaxy.org
http://usegalaxy.org/

Re: [galaxy-dev] 2011 Galaxy Community Conference, May 25-26, Lunteren, The Netherlands

Pieter Neerincx-3
Hi Peter and Dave,

I'm not from NBIC, but I'm in the Netherlands and familiar with the conference site. The suggested travel plan via Amsterdam Schiphol airport (AMS) followed by a train to Lunteren is your best bet.

Occasionally you may find cheap flights to Rotterdam or Eindhoven, but usually you will only find expensive flights to those airports with small "business jets". Trainwise it doesn't really matter whether you fly to Amsterdam, Rotterdam or Eindhoven.

(When you get to "De Wereld" don't forget to try the nice Belgium beers in "De Onderwereld"! :))

Cheers,

Pi

On Feb 7, 2011, at 7:23 PM, Dave Clements wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I believe that your suggested travel plan is indeed the best.  However, I'll confirm this with the NBIC folks and post the information here and to the web page, probably tomorrow.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave C.
>
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Peter Cock <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Dave Clements <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > We are pleased to announce the 2011 Galaxy Community Conference, being held
> > May 25-26 in Lunteren, The Netherlands.  The meeting will feature two full
> > days of presentations and discussion on extending Galaxy to use new tools
> > and data sources, deploying Galaxy at your organization, and best practices
> > for using Galaxy to further your own and your community's research.
> > Link: http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/
> >

> This sounds great.
>
> Further to the provided logistics page, would Amsterdam (AMS) be the nearest
> international airport? Followed by a train to Lunteren (say under 2 hours?) then
> a 15 walk to the Hotel/Conference Centre De Werelt?
>
> http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/Logistics.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter
>

> --
> http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/
> http://getgalaxy.org
> http://usegalaxy.org/

Re: [galaxy-dev] 2011 Galaxy Community Conference, May 25-26, Lunteren, The Netherlands

Dave Clements-2
Hi Peter and Pieter,

Thanks for the question and the information.  The logistics page (http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/Logistics.html) has been updated to reflect this.  It's a 1 hour and 17 minute train ride from the airport train station to Lunteren.

Thanks,

Dave C.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 5:00 AM, Pieter Neerincx <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Peter and Dave,

I'm not from NBIC, but I'm in the Netherlands and familiar with the conference site. The suggested travel plan via Amsterdam Schiphol airport (AMS) followed by a train to Lunteren is your best bet.

Occasionally you may find cheap flights to Rotterdam or Eindhoven, but usually you will only find expensive flights to those airports with small "business jets". Trainwise it doesn't really matter whether you fly to Amsterdam, Rotterdam or Eindhoven.

(When you get to "De Wereld" don't forget to try the nice Belgium beers in "De Onderwereld"! :))

Cheers,

Pi

On Feb 7, 2011, at 7:23 PM, Dave Clements wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I believe that your suggested travel plan is indeed the best.  However, I'll confirm this with the NBIC folks and post the information here and to the web page, probably tomorrow.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave C.
>
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Peter Cock <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Dave Clements <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > We are pleased to announce the 2011 Galaxy Community Conference, being held
> > May 25-26 in Lunteren, The Netherlands.  The meeting will feature two full
> > days of presentations and discussion on extending Galaxy to use new tools
> > and data sources, deploying Galaxy at your organization, and best practices
> > for using Galaxy to further your own and your community's research.
> > Link: http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/
> >

> This sounds great.
>
> Further to the provided logistics page, would Amsterdam (AMS) be the nearest
> international airport? Followed by a train to Lunteren (say under 2 hours?) then
> a 15 walk to the Hotel/Conference Centre De Werelt?
>
> http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/Logistics.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter
>

> --
> http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/
> http://getgalaxy.org
> http://usegalaxy.org/

http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/
http://getgalaxy.org
http://usegalaxy.org/

Re: [galaxy-dev] 2011 Galaxy Community Conference, May 25-26, Lunteren, The Netherlands

Davide Cittaro

On 08/feb/2011, at 14:00, Pieter Neerincx <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (When you get to "De Wereld" don't forget to try the nice Belgium beers in "De Onderwereld"! :))

Too bad I won't attend the meeting this time! :-(

Re: 2011 Galaxy Community Conference, May 25-26, Lunteren, The Netherlands

Dave Clements-3
Hello all,

Just a reminder that the abstract submission deadline for the Galaxy Community Conference is next Monday, February 28.  See http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/Abstracts.html for details.

Cheers,

Dave C.

PS: And there is still space at the GMOD Meeting being held March 5-6 @ NESCent:
  http://gmod.org/wiki/March_2011_GMOD_Meeting

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Dave Clements <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

To manage your subscriptions to this and other
Galaxy lists, please use the interface at:

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

Re: 2011 Galaxy Community Conference, May 25-26, Lunteren, The Netherlands

Dave Clements-3
Hello all,

This is a reminder that early registration for the 2011 Galaxy Community Conference closes in less than two weeks.  You can save 20% on registration if you register on or before 24 April.
  http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/Register.html

We've also added a partial list of confirmed speakers.  More will be added in the coming weeks as the schedule firms up.
  http://galaxy.psu.edu/gcc2011/Programme.html

Please let me know if you have any questions, and hope to see you in May,

Dave C.

[...]

please use the interface at:

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/