Apollo Developers Hackathon, Jan 2016, La Jolla, CA - Registration is now open!

Apollo Developers Hackathon, Jan 2016, La Jolla, CA - Registration is now open!

Monica Munoz-Torres
and

invite you to join us this January for the second Apollo Developers Hackathon in La Jolla, California.

For three days developers will work on new features of interest to their research communities, will be able to improve on existent Apollo & JBrowse features, and will collaborate in the development of features of interest to other colleagues.

Participants should:
- be able to set up your own Apollo server before arriving to Berkeley; including Postgres, Tomcat, etc.
- code comfortably in JavaScript (client) and Java (server).
- if you have great ideas for features even though you are not a developer, please let us know. We will be sure to include your thoughts, and, space-permitting, you may still be able to join us!

What will we do during the hackathon?:
The plan is still brewing, but we have a few ideas:
- Interactive tracks for visualization of aggregated variant data, including background population statistics, which will enable researchers to annotate the impact of variants including associations with human disease phenotypes.
- Exploration of synergies with the myvariant.info tool: a BD2K-supported software tool for aggregating annotations on human genetic variants from a variety of databases (ClinVar, exac, dbsnp, dbnsfp, etc.)
- Visualization of protein modification data overlaid on gene models. Using data available from http://www.ebi.ac.uk/pride/archive/ to understand the impact of variants on these sites.
- Creating a plugin to design CRISPR experiments.
- your ideas go here!

Please send your suggestions for feature development, your questions, and any other comments to the Apollo Developers email at: apollo-dev @ lists.lbl.gov

When: Thursday January 14 - Saturday January 16, 2016 (immediately after PAG).
Where: The Scripps Research Institute, Molecular and Experimental Medicine Building, 3545 Cray Court, La Jolla, CA 92121. USA.
Registration: Tickets are required. The cost of your ticket will be used to cover lunch, refreshments, prizes, and minor logistics charges. Visit the registration page at http://tinyurl.com/apollo-2016-registration
Getting there, accommodations: Participants are responsible for arranging travel and accommodations on their own. Some suggestions are available on the hackathon page at http://tinyurl.com/apollo-2016

See you in January!

Berkeley Bioinformatics Open-Source Projects & The Su Lab

Inline image 1
It is very likely you will receive this message more than once. We offer our sincere apologies for the redundancy.
p.s: The bee image is CopyRight of www.AlexanderWild.com | DNA image from ShutterStock.com

--
Mentorship Matters!
--