Authentication

Paulo Nuin
Hi everyone

Quick question (that might require a long answer): is there a mechanism in place that would allow authentication from other systems (not Google, for instance)? We are looking at the possibility of people that are already logged in WormBase to log in automatically on WormMine if they click the link. Cookies, or other possibilities?

Thanks

Paulo

Re: Authentication

Daniela Butano-2
Hi Paulo,

sorry for the slow response.

What you need is an authorization server (as Google). You have to
register the clients (e.g. WormBase and WormMine) in the authorization
server and this will allow to access both of them using a single account.

There are not other ways, I am pretty sure about that.

Daniela

On 14/01/2020 19:35, Paulo Nuin wrote:

> Hi everyone
>

> Quick question (that might require a long answer): is there a mechanism in place that would allow authentication from other systems (not Google, for instance)? We are looking at the possibility of people that are already logged in WormBase to log in automatically on WormMine if they click the link. Cookies, or other possibilities?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paulo

Re: Authentication

Paulo Nuin
HI Daniela

The authorization server needs to be from some known provider (Google, GitHub, etc) or it can be a custom one?

Thanks

Paulo

> On Jan 17, 2020, at 8:22 AM, Daniela Butano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Paulo,
>
> sorry for the slow response.
>
> What you need is an authorization server (as Google). You have to register the clients (e.g. WormBase and WormMine) in the authorization server and this will allow to access both of them using a single account.
>
> There are not other ways, I am pretty sure about that.
>
> Daniela
>
> On 14/01/2020 19:35, Paulo Nuin wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>

>> Quick question (that might require a long answer): is there a mechanism in place that would allow authentication from other systems (not Google, for instance)? We are looking at the possibility of people that are already logged in WormBase to log in automatically on WormMine if they click the link. Cookies, or other possibilities?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Paulo

Re: Authentication

Daniela Butano-2

It can be a custom one, of course. I would suggest Spring boots. There are a lot of tutorials and examples online

During last GSoC, a super amazing student Rahul implemented the Intermine authorithation server. The project is on github here.

In this implementation, when the user login in the first time he will be asked to merge any previous account of mine if have.

Maybe you can start having a look on it...

Daniela

On 17/01/2020 15:37, Paulo Nuin wrote:
[...]

Thanks again, I will start investigating.

Cheers

Paulo