[BioMart Users] Help

Sandra Grossi Gava - Fiocruz
Good afternoon,

I'm
using Biomart, because I need the promoter region, about 3 Kb of some genes.
And I would like to know information on what is the difference between the sequence types: 'Flank (Transcript)' and 'Flank (Gene)' on the "attributes".

Thanks.

Sandra Grossi Gava
Bacharel em Bioquímica - UFV
Mestranda em Ciências da Saúde - Biologia Celular e Molecular - CPqRR/FIOCRUZ
(31) 86187508

Centro de Pesquisas René Rachou/CPqRR -- A Fiocruz em Minas Gerais.
Rene Rachou Research Center/CPqRR -- The Oswaldo Cruz Foundation in the State of Minas Gerais, Brazil.
www.cpqrr.fiocruz.br

Re: [BioMart Users] Help

Arek Kasprzyk
Hi Sandra,
Some genes have many transcripts. The flank sequence for a transcript is either upstream from the first exon (upstream flank) or downstream from the last exon (downstream flank) for each individual transcript. The upstream flank for a gene is  upstream from the first exon of this  gene (that is the most upstream exon of all the transcripts belonging to this gene) and the downstream flank is the downstream flank from the last exon of this gene (this is the most downstream exon from all the transcripts belonging to this gene).

hope this makes sense to you :)