[BioMart Users] Limiting database connections

[BioMart Users] Limiting database connections

Richard Cote
Hi all

Quick questions: is there a configuration parameter that can limit the number of
database connections the martviewer and martservice can create? We had a recent
hiccup where a test instance killed the server with hundreds of simultaneous
connections.

Cheers,
Rc
--
Richard Cote
Software Engineer - PRIDE Project Team (Sequence Database Group)

Re: [BioMart Users] Limiting database connections

Andrew Blake
Hiya
I had the same issue couple of months ago ended up having to move the
biomart instance to a separate server to handle the max no of
connections required.
Cheers
Andy

On 02/02/2011 12:38, Richard Cote wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Quick questions: is there a configuration parameter that can limit the
> number of database connections the martviewer and martservice can
> create? We had a recent hiccup where a test instance killed the server
> with hundreds of simultaneous connections.
>
> Cheers,
> Rc

This email may have a PROTECTIVE MARKING, for an explanation please see:
http://www.mrc.ac.uk/About/Informationandstandards/Documentmarking/index.htm

Re: [BioMart Users] Limiting database connections

Syed Haider
Hi Richard,

for 0.7, you can bring this under control by compromising the speed of
first set of results. There is a limit clause that we can help you
increase and that would minimise the number of database queries.

for 0.8, we have this addresses differently, and therefore would stay
under control.

Let us know what you prefer,

Syed

On 02/02/11 12:54, Syed Haider wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> for 0.7, you can bring this under control by compromising the speed of first set
> of results. There is a limit clause that we can help you increase and that would
> minimise the number of database queries.
>
> for 0.8, we have this addresses differently, and therefore would stay under
> control.
>
> Let us know what you prefer,

Hi Syed

We're still on 0.7 for the foreseeable future. The limit problem is a bit of a
problem though, because what killed the biomart was federated queries from a
test reactome server. Is there no way to limit the number of database
connections or configure a db connection pool for perl?

Cheers,
Rc

--
Richard Cote
Software Engineer - PRIDE Project Team (Sequence Database Group)
European Bioinformatics Institute
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus                 [hidden email]
Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD                  Phone: (+44) 1223 492610
United Kingdom                               Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468

Re: [BioMart Users] Limiting database connections

Syed Haider
Hi Richard,

the biomart-perl doesnt have support for db connection pool. You may
consider limiting the number of connections on the database server end.

Best,
Syed