Buildig a custom Chado schema without X

Karl O. Pinc
Hi,

I'm running chado on a headless box without X, and I'd
prefer not to have to install the X client.

Is there a way to build a custom Chado schema without
X?  (I've got it in my head there's some sort of
curses tk interface.)

I could do it "offline", on another box.  Creating
the schema files elsewhere and copying them.  But,
to be honest, I'd don't really want to fill another
box with the cpan-ness that Chado requires.

(I don't really want to get into why cpan is ungood
from a system administration perspective, unless
people want to take the discussion there.)

Thanks,

Karl <[hidden email]>
Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

Re: Buildig a custom Chado schema without X

Scott Cain
Hi Karl,

CPAN is a sysadmin pain.  There, I said it! :-)

That said, the "build custom Chado" directions are really only intended as directions for a future me to build new releases.  I've never seen the point in anybody else building a custom release.  I keep an ubuntu virtual machine around with all the yucky Tk stuff just for this purpose (and it's still getting to be a pain).

Scott

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Karl O. Pinc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm running chado on a headless box without X, and I'd
prefer not to have to install the X client.

Is there a way to build a custom Chado schema without
X?  (I've got it in my head there's some sort of
curses tk interface.)

I could do it "offline", on another box.  Creating
the schema files elsewhere and copying them.  But,
to be honest, I'd don't really want to fill another
box with the cpan-ness that Chado requires.

(I don't really want to get into why cpan is ungood
from a system administration perspective, unless
people want to take the discussion there.)

Thanks,

Karl <[hidden email]>
Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

Re: Buildig a custom Chado schema without X

Fields, Christopher J
On Mar 17, 2014, at 1:37 PM, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> CPAN is a sysadmin pain.  There, I said it! :-)

That’s why I switched to using cpanm.  Much nicer :)

chris

Re: Buildig a custom Chado schema without X

Scott Cain
yada, yada, yada ...  lib::local  yada, yada!  :-)

On 03/17/2014 01:37:24 PM, Scott Cain wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> CPAN is a sysadmin pain.  There, I said it! :-)

Ah well.  Life goes on.

> That said, the "build custom Chado" directions are really only
> intended as
> directions for a future me to build new releases.  I've never seen
> the
> point in anybody else building a custom release.  I keep an ubuntu
> virtual
> machine around with all the yucky Tk stuff just for this purpose (and
> it's
> still getting to be a pain).

How is it expected that people install some modules and not others
then?