CHARM: CHAdo Resource Manager

Eric Rasche

Morning Chado folks,

# CHARM

  The organisation I work for came to the conclusion we needed multiple
Chado instances in order to better facilitate a clear separation of
privileges with respect to data.

  To that end, we have developed a set of bash scripts* for deploying,
cloning, backup, and restoration of Chado instances. Additionally, some
user management features are there with the prospect for more
development in that area. We built off of the existing GMOD conf files
so every database you create with CHARM can be used by compatible GMOD
scripts which take advantage of the --dbprofile flag.

  We found that one of the major bottlenecks in our installation process
was the loading of the Ontologies we use. With that in mind, we plan to
keep a (relatively) up-to-date dump of an empty Chado database with a
few ontologies** pre-installed on offer. This allows for installation of
a full Chado instance in a couple minutes as opposed to the possibly
multiple hour process for loading the Gene Ontology.

  We're offering these scripts to help make everyone's life a wee bit
easier. For those not needing an up-to-date ontology set, our
pre-generated Chado instance would be a vastly simpler (and faster)
solution. This will soon tie in with our aim of releasing an up-to-date
debian package for Chado.

# Getting a copy

I've released a signed, tagged copy of CHARM here:

https://github.com/erasche/CHARM/releases/tag/v1.0

It is currently released under the GPLv3. Contributions are welcome!

# Our (Example) Use Case

  We had a specific use case in mind when we developed these tools,
which I will outline here. We have several different groups within our
organisation, all of which need to keep their data separate from every
other group. As far as we could tell, we could not set permissions on a
per-organism basis. Thus we came to the conclusion that it would be
easiest to have separate PostgreSQL databases for each group.
Additionally, we wished to store our data in a version control system
(VCS) like model. So, with the CHARM suite; we will be able to dump out
.SQL backups to store in the VCS, we can clone (branch) a database for
an individual to work on, and then restore into the master (merge) once
those changes have been approved. With these scripts we have some of the
infrastructure to accomplish those goals.

- -- Footnotes --
* No aim is made for cross platform compatibility, nor has any testing
been done other than on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and bash 4.2.25(1)-release.
That said, I will gladly accept contributions that aim to help that.
** The ontologies we've preloaded in our instance are RO, SO, GO, Chado
Feat. Prop.

- --
Eric Rasche
Programmer II
Center for Phage Technology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843
404-692-2048

Re: CHARM: CHAdo Resource Manager

Siddhartha Basu
Hi Erich,
Thanks for sharing the projects/code and the rationale of the design,
quite interesting. Just out of curosity, have you tried or thought about
trying multiple postgresql schemas(namespace) per database insteading
our multiple databases. Did you encounter or anticipated any issue
in going that way.

Thanks once again,
-siddhartha

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013, Eric Rasche wrote:

> [...]
> per-organism basis. Thus we came to the conclusion that it would be
> easiest to have separate PostgreSQL databases for each group.
> Additionally, we wished to store our data in a version control system
> (VCS) like model. So, with the CHARM suite; we will be able to dump out
> .SQL backups to store in the VCS, we can clone (branch) a database for
> an individual to work on, and then restore into the master (merge) once
> those changes have been approved. With these scripts we have some of the
> infrastructure to accomplish those goals.
>

> - -- Footnotes --
> * No aim is made for cross platform compatibility, nor has any testing
> been done other than on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and bash 4.2.25(1)-release.
> That said, I will gladly accept contributions that aim to help that.
> ** The ontologies we've preloaded in our instance are RO, SO, GO, Chado

Hi Siddhartha,

 We had not actually considered that particular implementation. I come
from a MySQL background and having a completely separate level of
categorisation in PostgreSQL was new to me at the time. Given that there
are the other schemas loaded by Chado (frange, so, genetic_code), I
thought it best to isolate the instances completely. I'm frankly not
sure what any of those do (and no obvious docs on them), much less if
individual chado instances would modify tables in each individually and
lead to issues.

I'm not sure what impact either implementation will have on replication
as well (I'm sure that's in my future). I simply decided for what looked
like the cleanest, most hassle free design.

What would your rationale for maintaining multiple Chado schemas in a
single database be? (Please understand, I'm a complete novice with
PostgreSQL). I'm not sure about overhead of multiple postgres databases
as compared to a single DB with multiple schemas.

Cheers,
Eric

On 08/14/2013 09:59 AM, Siddhartha Basu wrote:

> [...]
> per-organism basis. Thus we came to the conclusion that it would be
> easiest to have separate PostgreSQL databases for each group.
> Additionally, we wished to store our data in a version control system
> (VCS) like model. So, with the CHARM suite; we will be able to dump out
> .SQL backups to store in the VCS, we can clone (branch) a database for
> an individual to work on, and then restore into the master (merge) once
> those changes have been approved. With these scripts we have some of the
> infrastructure to accomplish those goals.
>

> -- Footnotes --
> * No aim is made for cross platform compatibility, nor has any testing
> been done other than on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and bash 4.2.25(1)-release.
> That said, I will gladly accept contributions that aim to help that.
> ** The ontologies we've preloaded in our instance are RO, SO, GO, Chado

- --

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013, Eric Rasche wrote:

> Hi Siddhartha,
>
>  We had not actually considered that particular implementation. I come
> from a MySQL background and having a completely separate level of
> categorisation in PostgreSQL was new to me at the time. Given that there
> are the other schemas loaded by Chado (frange, so, genetic_code), I
> thought it best to isolate the instances completely. I'm frankly not
> sure what any of those do (and no obvious docs on them), much less if
> individual chado instances would modify tables in each individually and
> lead to issues.
>
> I'm not sure what impact either implementation will have on replication
> as well (I'm sure that's in my future). I simply decided for what looked
> like the cleanest, most hassle free design.
>
> What would your rationale for maintaining multiple Chado schemas in a
> single database be? (Please understand, I'm a complete novice with
> PostgreSQL).
Actually, i am trying to evaluate if there is any case where it could be
used for chado. I have only found it useful in few occasions where as an application developer
i don't have privileges to create multiple databases(not chado) on prod system
and where i needed to add identical set of tables that already exist in
the public schema.
I do use it all the time for automated unit testing of my software where
a temporary schema(with random name) is created and loaded with chado
ddl at the start of each run. The teardown process takes down the schema
at the end of the run. At least for testing purposes, i don't need those
additional chado schemas, just use the core ddl. I have even used the
free instance of heroku postgresql(https://postgres.heroku.com) without
any problem.

thanks,
-sidd