Call for Abstracts: GCCBOSC 2018

Scott Cain
GCCBOSC 2018: A Bioinformatics Community Conference
Call for Abstracts

 Dates: June 25-30, 2018
 Location: Reed College, Portland, OR
 GCCBOSC website
 Email BOSC organizers: [hidden email][hidden email]

Important Dates
  • Abstract submission deadline: March 16, 2018
  • Authors notified: April 10, 2018
  • Travel fellowship application deadline: April 15, 2017
  • GCCBOSC 2018 Training: June 25-26, 2018
  • GCCBOSC 2018 Talks: June 27-28
  • GCCBOSC CollaborationFest: June 29-30
About BOSC
Since 2000, the yearly Bioinformatics Open Source Conference (BOSC) has provided a forum for developers and users to interact and share research results and ideas in open source bioinformatics. BOSC’s broad spectrum of topics includes practical techniques for solving bioinformatics problems; software development practices; standards and ontologies; approaches that promote open science and sharing of data, results and software; and ways to grow open source communities while promoting diversity within them.

Why is BOSC partnering with GCC in 2018?
In past years, BOSC has been part of the ISMB conference. Because of our continuing focus on broadening and deepening the BOSC community, we've been exploring ways to reach those in the bioinformatics community who aren’t already part of the audience attracted by ISMB. As part of that exploration, we have looked at other organizations and conferences that have been successful at establishing a strong and growing community of participants, such as the Galaxy Community Conference (GCC).

After much discussion and planning, we decided to hold BOSC in conjunction with GCC in 2018. We hope that this will be an enjoyable and productive experience for all participants, and we welcome your feedback before, during and after the event.

As always, BOSC 2018 will include two days of talks and posters, two keynote speakers, a panel discussion, Birds of a Feather, and more. BOSC sessions will run in parallel with GCC 2018 sessions, with some sessions shared. The two days of talks will be preceded by two days of training on topics nominated by the community, and will be followed by a two-day CollaborationFest that merges BOSC's Codefest and Galaxy's Developer and User Hackathon Days.

Abstract submission
We encourage you to submit one-page abstracts (due March 16) on any topic relevant to open source bioinformatics or open science. After review, some abstracts will be selected for lightning talks, longer talks, demos and/or posters. Abstract submission instructions and a link to the EasyChair submission portal can be found on

BOSC session topics include (but are not limited to):
  • Open Science and Reproducible Research
  • Open Biomedical Data
  • Citizen/Participatory Science
  • Standards and Interoperability
  • Data Science
  • Workflows
  • Visualization
  • Medical and Translational Bioinformatics
  • Developer Tools and Libraries
  • Bioinformatics Open Source Project Progress Reports
We look forward to receiving your abstract and meeting you at GCCBOSC 2018!

      BOSC 2018 Organizing Committee: Nomi Harris (chair), Heather Wiencko (co-chair), Brad Chapman (co-chair), Peter Cock, Christopher Fields, Bastian Greshake, Karsten Hokamp, Hilmar Lapp, Monica Munoz-Torres

P.S. Don't forget to submit your BOSC abstract by March 16 at! Please share this announcement with your colleagues!

GMOD Coordinator (                     216-392-3087
Ontario Institute for Cancer Research

This list is for the Apollo Annotation Editing Tool. Info at