Can you cross GBrowse link streams?

Josh Goodman
Hi all,

A user has reported an issue with following links from a BLAST report
to GBrowse.  The links they are following use standard parameters to
position the view (ref, start, stop).  The links look something like
this:

Link/Tab 1:
http://flybase.org/cgi-bin/gbrowse2/dmel/?ref=2R;start=14479585;stop=14483603;

Link/Tab 2:
http://flybase.org/cgi-bin/gbrowse2/dmel/?ref=2L;start=15260611;stop=15264625;

After opening the above links in their own tab and in quick succession
so that Tab 1 is still loading when Tab 2 initiates a request, the
view shown in Tab 1 is corrupted.  Tab 1 shows the correct URL in the
browser address bar, but the region shown corresponds to the region
for Tab 2.  The tab title and the GBrowse region title also display
the incorrect region.

e.g.
' D. melanogaster: 4.015 kbp from 2L:15,260,611..15,264,625

instead of

' D. melanogaster: 4.019 kbp from 2R:14,479,585..14,483,603

Reloading Tab 1 corrects the corrupted view.  If you click each link
after waiting for the tab to load it does not exhibit this behavior.

I've replicated this on the WormBase GBrowse 2.x server using the
links below, so I'm fairly certain that this is not specific to the
FlyBase installation.

http://www.wormbase.org/tools/genome/gbrowse/c_elegans_PRJNA13758/?ref=III&start=9050076..9061680

http://www.wormbase.org/tools/genome/gbrowse/c_elegans_PRJNA13758/?ref=III&start=8060076..8071680

Have others seen this?  I know that we are never supposed to cross the
streams, but would it be possible to fix this bug or find a way around
it so that we can?

Thanks,
Josh

Re: Can you cross GBrowse link streams?

Josh Goodman
Resurrecting this old question that never received a response.

We have a growing number of complaints about this and would really like to solve it if possible.  To summarize the problem, if you open up two or more GBrowse links in quick succession, the location of the initial tab gets overwritten by one of the later requests.

e.g.
1. Click GBrowse link (tab 1)
2. Click GBrowse link (tab 2)
3. View in tab 1 shows correct URL, but displays location of tab 2.

Any thoughts?

Josh