Chado adaptor and full text searching

Scott Cain
Hi Leighton,

I wanted to let you know first off, that I've been watching your
progress with the Chado adaptor and adding full text searching.
Anybody willing to patch that awful code (the Chado adaptor) has my
undying admiration.  :-)

I would like to make use of the work you've done so far, and to that
end, I created a svn branch of the Chado adaptor at

  https://gmod.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gmod/gbrowse-adaptors/branches/chado-fulltext/

If you would like to be able to commit on this branch, send me a
SourceForge account name and I'll give you commit privs.

My plan going forward is first to get it working the way you did; I
already had to undo one of the changes you made.  Sometimes searching
for a name needs to be for exactly feature.name, but when I searched
for "ChrI", it also found ChrY; Oops!  :-)  The good news is that the
functional index on lower(feature.name) should be just fine in the
case of exact matches.

After I have it working satisfactorily, I want to make it a flag for
the constructor to optionally use it.  It seems to me that it only
makes sense to use full text searching if the all_feature_names view
is materialized, so I expect no everybody will want to use it.  That
of course will also require some documentation for the implementers.

Thanks for your work so far on this, and now that I'm working on it
too, hopefully I'll be able to help you out with some of the other
things you've run into.