Create Distributed Component That Does Not Iterate

Create Distributed Component That Does Not Iterate

Aaron Buechlein
Hello,
Is there an easy way to create a component that is distributed to the
SGE cluster but does not iterate?  Basically, I need to make a component
that takes a list as input, but only runs once since it uses the list as
the input and not the files listed in this list.
Thanks,

Aaron Buechlein

Re: Create Distributed Component That Does Not Iterate

Joshua Orvis
Aaron -

In the component XML you can always change the <type> attribute of any <command> element to make it distributed.  Instead of a 'RunUnixCommand' value substitute 'RunDistributedCommand' instead.

Joshua

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Aaron Buechlein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
Is there an easy way to create a component that is distributed to the
SGE cluster but does not iterate?  Basically, I need to make a component
that takes a list as input, but only runs once since it uses the list as
the input and not the files listed in this list.
Thanks,

Aaron Buechlein

Creating parallel groups without iteration

Chris Hemmerich

Hi,

I'm considering writing an xml template that will split an input list into
groups, but then runs each group as a single process with multiple inputs
rather than running a process for each input. The goal being to save the
startup/shutdown cost of program.  My understanding of the how the current
group/iterator templates work is pretty basic, so I'm hoping for a quick
sanity check.

1) Is there an easier or lighter way to do this?

2) Is there a reason this is a bad idea?

3) Is replace_template_keys.pl going to cause problems for me? It looks
like there is a bit of black magic going on in how it builds the final xml
from the component and templates. I suspect this could make this project
bigger than it appears.

Thanks for any feedback!

  Chris