Customising annotation track colour

Myriam Shafie

Hi everyone,

I have several annotation tracks in my dev instance of Apollo and I’m trying to make them appear in different colours.

Based on the “Customizing features” section in the documentation, I did the following:

-          Created a style.css file containing the two example styles given in the documentation.

-          Put the style.css file in the same output/ directory as my trackList.json.

-          Added to trackList.json before the tracks section the line:  "css" : "style.css",

-          Loaded a GFF3 track with the following command line:

bin/flatfile-to-json.pl --gff path/to/my.gff --trackLabel "my track name" --type transcript  --out output/ --subfeatureClasses '{"CDS":"gold-90pct","UTR": "dimgold-60pct"}'

This makes the track appear in grey and not in gold. Is there a specific directory where the CSS file need to be in order to get loaded? I tried to put the styles in several locations but the track only ever showed up grey.

Apologies if this pretty basic question has already been treated, I searched through the mailing list archive but couldn’t find anything.

Thanks,

Myriam

Re: Customising annotation track colour

nathandunn

Could you share your final relevant portions of the trackList.json file?

Nathan

On May 2, 2017, at 3:01 AM, Myriam Shafie <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

This list is for the Apollo Annotation Editing Tool. Info at http://genomearchitect.org/
If you wish to unsubscribe from the Apollo List: 1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to [hidden email] | 2. In the subject line of your email type: unsubscribe apollo | 3. Leave the message body blank.

Re: Customising annotation track colour

Myriam Shafie

Hi Nathan,

Here it goes:

{

   "css" : "style.css",

   "tracks" : [

      …some other tracks here including ref sequence….

      {

                "style" : {

            "className" : "feature",

            "subfeatureClasses" : {

               "CDS" : "gold-90pct",

               "UTR" : "dimgold-60pct"

            }

         },

         "key" : "BRAKER (IsoSeq)",

         "storeClass" : "JBrowse/Store/SeqFeature/NCList",

         "trackType" : null,

         "urlTemplate" : "tracks/BRAKER (IsoSeq)/{refseq}/trackData.json",

         "compress" : 0,

         "type" : "FeatureTrack",

         "label" : "BRAKER (IsoSeq)"

      },

Thanks,

Myriam

Re: Customising annotation track colour

nathandunn

Just to double-check:

1 - does your style.css file have "gold-90pct” defined?
2 - in the console, are there any errors associated (e.g., is it loading style.css properly?)

Nathan

> [...]
> If you wish to unsubscribe from the Apollo List: 1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to [hidden email] | 2. In the subject line of your email type: unsubscribe apollo | 3. Leave the message body blank.
>

> -- The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.
>

> This list is for the Apollo Annotation Editing Tool. Info at http://genomearchitect.org/
> If you wish to unsubscribe from the Apollo List: 1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to [hidden email]| 2. In the subject line of your email type: unsubscribe apollo | 3. Leave the message body blank.

1)       The content of style.css is an exact copy-paste of the example CSS given in the “Customizing features” section of the documentation. It defines a gold-90pct class.

2)       When I start the dev server (with ./apollo run-local), I don’t see any references to style.css. There are no errors except for these two rather cryptic ones:

Error 2017-05-04 09:27:44,704 [DefaultPluginScheduler_Worker-2] ERROR apollo.PreferenceService  - Removing stale preferences

Error 2017-05-04 09:27:44,990 [DefaultPluginScheduler_Worker-2] ERROR apollo.PreferenceService  - Removed 0 stale preferences

Thanks,

Myriam

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Nathan Dunn <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, 3 May 2017 at 17:46
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

> [...]

> If you wish to unsubscribe from the Apollo List: 1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to [hidden email] | 2. In the subject line of your email type: unsubscribe apollo | 3. Leave the message body blank.
>

> -- The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.
>

> This list is for the Apollo Annotation Editing Tool. Info at http://genomearchitect.org/
> If you wish to unsubscribe from the Apollo List: 1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to [hidden email]| 2. In the subject line of your email type: unsubscribe apollo | 3. Leave the message body blank.

I just tried the same thing.  I think that the trick is in Apollo, you have to reference it as:

   "css" : "data/custom.css",

When I do it without the “data” it fails to load.

Let me know if that works and I’ll update the documentation.

Thanks,

Nathan

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Nathan Dunn <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, 3 May 2017 at 17:46
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

> [...]

This list is for the Apollo Annotation Editing Tool. Info at http://genomearchitect.org/
If you wish to unsubscribe from the Apollo List: 1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to [hidden email] | 2. In the subject line of your email type: unsubscribe apollo | 3. Leave the message body blank.

This list is for the Apollo Annotation Editing Tool. Info at http://genomearchitect.org/
If you wish to unsubscribe from the Apollo List: 1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to [hidden email]| 2. In the subject line of your email type: unsubscribe apollo | 3. Leave the message body blank.

I made it work by:

1)       Creating two subdirectories apollo/data/ in my output/ directory

2)       Moving everything from output/ to output/apollo/data

3)       Updating my species info to point to the new directory.

4)       Updating trackList.json to add    "css" : "data/custom.css",

It seems Apollo is expecting the output directory to have a precise subdirectory structure, which should be made explicit in the documentation. However, in the long term, maybe it would be better not to have requirements about where the output will be?

Thanks,

Myriam

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Nathan Dunn <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, 3 May 2017 at 17:46
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

> [...]

This list is for the Apollo Annotation Editing Tool. Info at http://genomearchitect.org/
If you wish to unsubscribe from the Apollo List: 1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to [hidden email] | 2. In the subject line of your email type: unsubscribe apollo | 3. Leave the message body blank.

This list is for the Apollo Annotation Editing Tool. Info at
http://genomearchitect.org/
If you wish to unsubscribe from the Apollo List: 1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to
[hidden email]| 2. In the subject line of your email type: unsubscribe apollo | 3. Leave the message body blank.

Looks like we had already had it documented:

Apologize for not pointing you there sooner.

I would agree that maybe in the longer-term having it infer the location from root might be a better way to go.

Nathan

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Nathan Dunn <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, 3 May 2017 at 17:46
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

> [...]

This list is for the Apollo Annotation Editing Tool. Info at
http://genomearchitect.org/
If you wish to unsubscribe from the Apollo List: 1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to
[hidden email]| 2. In the subject line of your email type: unsubscribe apollo | 3. Leave the message body blank.

This list is for the Apollo Annotation Editing Tool. Info at http://genomearchitect.org/
If you wish to unsubscribe from the Apollo List: 1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to [hidden email]| 2. In the subject line of your email type: unsubscribe apollo | 3. Leave the message body blank.

I think the documentation is still incomplete.

Just having a data/ directory with a CSS file in it is not enough. You need to have a apollo/data/ directory structure and that is not written anywhere in the documentation as far as I’ve seen.

Thanks,

Myriam

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Nathan Dunn <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, 3 May 2017 at 17:46
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

> [...]

This list is for the Apollo Annotation Editing Tool. Info at
http://genomearchitect.org/
If you wish to unsubscribe from the Apollo List: 1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to
[hidden email]| 2. In the subject line of your email type: unsubscribe apollo | 3. Leave the message body blank.

This list is for the Apollo Annotation Editing Tool. Info at
http://genomearchitect.org/
If you wish to unsubscribe from the Apollo List: 1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to
[hidden email]| 2. In the subject line of your email type: unsubscribe apollo | 3. Leave the message body blank.

Myriam,

The directory structure is inferred.  The organisms *don’t* have to be in a directory called ‘data’ and it should work.

The only caveat is that if you use image (or other) references from JBrowse (vs locally included) you have to reference up a directory:

    background-image: url('../img/minus-arrowhead.png');

If its in the same directory as the organism in a directory called image, then this will be fine:

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Nathan Dunn <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, 3 May 2017 at 17:46
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>