Database versioning

Karl O. Pinc
Hi,

Had some thoughts on database versioning.
It's not that I feel like there's a pressing
reason to make changes.  I thought I'd
write anyway should changes someday be
considered.

Rather than put a version column on the
dbxref table it seems more apt to have
a dbversion table, with a db_version_id, a db_id and
a version column.  (It wouldn't be awful
to have a notes column too.)  The dbxref
table would then reference the db_version_id
instead of the db_id and would not have
a version column.

Regards,

Karl <[hidden email]>
Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

Re: Database versioning

Siddhartha Basu
Hi,
You might look at chadoprop table. According to the docs it seems to store schema version.

-siddhartha

On Mon, 02 Jun 2014, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Had some thoughts on database versioning.
> It's not that I feel like there's a pressing
> reason to make changes.  I thought I'd
> write anyway should changes someday be
> considered.
>
> Rather than put a version column on the
> dbxref table it seems more apt to have
> a dbversion table, with a db_version_id, a db_id and
> a version column.  (It wouldn't be awful
> to have a notes column too.)  The dbxref
> table would then reference the db_version_id
> instead of the db_id and would not have
> a version column.
>
> Regards,
>
> Karl <[hidden email]>
> Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
>                  -- Robert A. Heinlein

Re: Database versioning

Karl O. Pinc
On 06/02/2014 04:29:36 PM, Siddhartha Basu wrote:
> Hi,
> You might look at chadoprop table. According to the docs it seems to
> store schema version.

Isn't that the version of chado itself?