FlyMine's release procedure

Julie Sullivan
After we run a flymine build, we run acceptance tests:

        http://intermine.org/wiki/AcceptanceTests

These run simple SQL queries on the new database and compare the actual and
expected results.

We also run a template comparison script:

        http://intermine.org/wiki/TemplateComparison

This script runs all of the public templates in a mine and emails the number of
results returned for each query.  You can optionally specify a second mine (eg.
beta and live mine) for comparison.

modMine has a shell script (automine.sh?) that runs these automatically after a
build.

Here is a brief description of FlyMine's release procedure:

        http://intermine.org/wiki/ReleaseProcedure

Re: FlyMine's release procedure

Joel Richardson

Julie,

This is very useful info. A couple of questions:

On 12/8/11 6:01 AM, Julie Sullivan wrote:
> After we run a flymine build, we run acceptance tests:
>
> http://intermine.org/wiki/AcceptanceTests
>
> These run simple SQL queries on the new database and compare the actual
> and expected results.

flymine_acceptance_test.conf is part of the bio core. Where does a
mine's own conf file go?

> We also run a template comparison script:
>
> http://intermine.org/wiki/TemplateComparison
>
> This script runs all of the public templates in a mine and emails the
> number of results returned for each query. You can optionally specify a
> second mine (eg. beta and live mine) for comparison.
>
> modMine has a shell script (automine.sh?) that runs these automatically
> after a build.
>
> Here is a brief description of FlyMine's release procedure:
>
> http://intermine.org/wiki/ReleaseProcedure

When you do the release to production how long is the down time
for users? What if someone is logged in at the time? Do you
just pull the plug?

joel

Joel Richardson, Ph.D.
Sr. Research Scientist
Mouse Genome Informatics
The Jackson Laboratory   Phone: (207) 288-6435
600 Main Street          Fax:   (207) 288-6132
Bar Harbor, Maine 04609  URL:   www.informatics.jax.org

On 08/12/11 12:51, Joel Richardson wrote:

> Julie,
>
> This is very useful info. A couple of questions:
>
> On 12/8/11 6:01 AM, Julie Sullivan wrote:
>> After we run a flymine build, we run acceptance tests:
>>
>> http://intermine.org/wiki/AcceptanceTests
>>
>> These run simple SQL queries on the new database and compare the actual
>> and expected results.
>
> flymine_acceptance_test.conf is part of the bio core. Where does a
> mine's own conf file go?

I didn't realise that.  Put it there for now?

>> We also run a template comparison script:
>>
>> http://intermine.org/wiki/TemplateComparison
>>
>> This script runs all of the public templates in a mine and emails the
>> number of results returned for each query. You can optionally specify a
>> second mine (eg. beta and live mine) for comparison.
>>
>> modMine has a shell script (automine.sh?) that runs these automatically
>> after a build.
>>
>> Here is a brief description of FlyMine's release procedure:
>>
>> http://intermine.org/wiki/ReleaseProcedure
>
> When you do the release to production how long is the down time
> for users?

A few minutes?  The downtime for us comes from restarting Apache.  (flymine.org
maps to the latest release eg. flymine/release-32.0.  this has to be updated and
Apache restarted for every new release)  Other mines don't do this.

I suppose, for them, it's however long it takes to re-release the webapp?

> What if someone is logged in at the time? Do you
> just pull the plug?

At FlyMine I usually post a notice that the site will be unavailable for 10
minutes at 9 AM GMT.  I can look at the log files to make sure there is no
(non-searchbot) activity.

If someone is running a query or saving a list at that same second that I am
restarting Apache, they will lose that query or list.

Another mine I know of has an automated build script that runs every Sunday
morning.  Which sort of gets around this as the number of users on Sunday
approaches zero.