GMOD Membership Requirements, Version 2.0 proposal

GMOD Membership Requirements, Version 2.0 proposal

Dave Clements
Hello all,

GMOD's requirements for software to become a part of GMOD were codified in February 2010, following the January 2010 GMOD Meeting.  These requirements were in use before February, but were not documented or consistently applied.  They have been consistently applied since February.  We also created a standard nomination process.  See http://gmod.org/wiki/GMOD_Membership#Software.

These "Version 1" requirements are:
* Meets a common need
* Useful over time
* Configurable and Extensible
* Open source license for all users
* Interoperable with existing GMOD Components
* Commitment of support

We'd now like to add two new requirements that I feel should have been there in the first version:
1. Support [[GMOD Mailing Lists|mailing list]] that is publicly archived
2. Publicly accessible code repository

We discussed these changes at the September 2010 GMOD Meeting, and attendees recommended we implement these changes.  We are now contacting the community at large (you!) to solicit feedback on the proposal.

If you have any comments, please post them to the gmod-devel list in the next two weeks.  If we reach consensus and approval, we'll update the requirements.

Thanks,

Dave C

--
http://gmod.org/wiki/GMOD_News
http://gmod.org/wiki/Help_Desk_Feedback

Re: GMOD Membership Requirements, Version 2.0 proposal

Todd Harris
Hi Dave -

Might I suggest unifying all the GMOD mailing lists under Google Groups, including those from new projects?

I recently did just this for WormBase via an Education edition upgrade from Google.  The search, browsing, and admin- and user-level management functions of Google Groups make using mailman-based lists seem like a throw back to the BBS era.

Todd