Quantcast

[GSoC 2017] [Open Genome Informatics] Google Summer of Code 2017 Participation

[GSoC 2017] [Open Genome Informatics] Google Summer of Code 2017 Participation

Robin Haw
All,

We will again be putting forward an application to be a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2017 students.

"Google Summer of Code is a global program that offers student developers stipends to write code for various open source software projects. Through Google Summer of Code, accepted student applicants are paired with a mentor or mentors from the participating projects, thus gaining exposure to real-world software development scenarios and the opportunity for employment in areas related to their academic pursuits. In turn, the participating projects are able to more easily identify and bring in new developers. Best of all, more source code is created and released for the use and benefit of all.” https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/

Our team name since 2011 has been Open Genome Informatics. Since 2011, the Open Genome Informatics team has served as an "umbrella organization" to a variety of open bioinformatics projects, including GMOD and its software projects -- GBrowse, JBrowse, etc.; Galaxy; PortEco; Reactome; SeqWare; WormBase; DockStore and others. I’ll update the Open Genome Informatics page: http://gmod.org/wiki/GSoC, in preparation for applying for this year’s Google Summer of Code.

Call for 2017 Project Ideas and Mentors:  We are seeking project ideas to post and attract talented students to this year’s Summer of Code competition. If you have a project idea for which you would like to mentor a student, please contact Robin Haw, cc’ing Scott Cain and Marc Gillespie (emails above).

Mentoring organization application deadline: February 9, 2017

If you have any questions please let me, Scott and Marc know.

Thanks,
Robin Haw