[GSoC - Open Genome Informatics] - Please read

[GSoC - Open Genome Informatics] - Please read

Robin Haw
Dear All,

If you have agreed to be a Mentor for this group please read this and if you have any questions, please let me, Marc or Scott know.
  • If you are a mentor, and are not registered for the GSoC web portal, please let me know ASAP.
  • The timeline for GSoC is here: https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline. I would encourage you to look over the timeline.
  • Student proposals will be submitted between 14 March 19:00 UTC (opens) and  25 March 19:00 UTC (deadline).
    • Proposal information will be found on our GMOD GSOC website: http://gmod.org/wiki/GSOC_Applications_Guide
    • For some of you, you will have probably already had an email from a student interested in your project. If not, you may be receiving a proposal in the GSoC web portal in the next few days. For some of you, you may not receive any proposals or students!
    • Your overall goal is to find a student that you’d like to work with, who has the right temperament as much as the skill set to do the work.
    • The bottom line, you have to try and engage with all the students that are interested in your project, however, difficult it will get with communicating with some of them. Your goal is to answer their questions, and help them to write the proposal - you don't need to write it but you can read it and provide feedback before it is officially submitted.
    • You can also ask the student questions, ask them to show you some code, etc.
  • Once the proposals start coming in through the GSOC portal, we will discuss the students, review the proposals, and vote on which projects and student goes through – more details to follow.
    • As yet, I don't know how many student slots we will be getting, and this will dictate how many projects and students we will work with.
If you have any further questions, please let me know.
Robin

Re: [GSoC - Open Genome Informatics] - Please read

Robin Haw
Sorry, I forgot to mention the GSoC web portal can be found here: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/. Please use the same email account that you responded to the mentor invite email, probably a gmail account.
Thanks,
Robin

Re: [GSoC - Open Genome Informatics] - Please read

Olivier Sallou
Hi,
I have already been mentor at GoSC for Debian in the past. If you have some questions regarding students selection, do not hesitate to ask. You indeed have to be really careful in your selection, many proposals are made by people only willing to get money and/or not able to spend much time on the project due to exams etc... (do not forget that people come from all over the world, with no the same holidays vacations etc...)

Olivier