Galaxy Architecture Documentation

Oren Livne
Dear All,

I am a software developer, new to Galaxy. Is there a detailed document
about the Galaxy code architecture, API, what runners are, and how to
write a runner?

I am especially interested in integrating Galaxy with an external
scheduler software (I am aware of Galaxy's scheduling capabilities). I'd
like to intercept Galaxy workflows and send their object model to my
scheduler. I could not find this information on the Galaxy Wiki.

Thank you so much in advance,
Oren Livne

please use the interface at:

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

Re: Galaxy Architecture Documentation

Dave Clements-3
Hi Oren,

This book chapter http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~eafgan/content/Galaxy_eScienceGateway.pdf, includes a high-level overview of Galaxy.  (Note: that chapter will be copied to the wiki soon.)

There is some API documentation.
~/scripts/api/README,
~/scripts/api/workflow_
execute.py and
~/scripts/api/example_watch_folder.py  in the distribution
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/News%20Briefs/2010_07_16#Initial_implementation_of_the_Galaxy_Web_API
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/News%20Briefs/2011_08_30#API
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Events/GCC2011 (Galaxy Deployment and API presentation)
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Sample%20Tracking/Next%20Gen
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Events/GCC2011/Workflows%20and%20API

Sometime in the next week I'll compile all this into a single wiki page.

As far as I know there is no "How to write a runner for Galaxy" document.  The closest we have is
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Config/Performance/Cluster and
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Config/Performance/Web%20Application%20Scaling

Hope this helps,

Dave C.

--
http://galaxyproject.org/
http://getgalaxy.org/

please use the interface at:

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

Re: Galaxy Architecture Documentation

Oren Livne
Dear Dave,

This was very useful. Thank you so much. Specifically, I am trying to integrate Galaxy with Condor, which supports DRMAA. Is there an existing Condor job runner implementation, or any useful code for submitting Galaxy jobs to Condor?

Thanks!
Oren

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

Re: Galaxy Architecture Documentation

Dave Clements-3
Hi Oren,

I had no idea so I went to the Galaxy mailing list archive @ Nabble (http://gmod.827538.n3.nabble.com/Galaxy-f829901.html) and searched for Condor (http://gmod.827538.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=829901&query=condor).  It appears that Ravi Madduri @ Argonne has done some work with this.

I was also at a meeting in March with someone from Wisconsin (where I think Condor is currently developed) and they indicated their might be interest in helping Galaxy work with Condor.  I/you can pursue this option as well.

Dave C.

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Oren Livne <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

Re: Galaxy Architecture Documentation

Victor
Hi Dave,
That was me!
I'm currently talking with the condor folks here in Madison WI.
It would be great to get galaxy going with Condor since condor nows forms part of red hat.

Besides the existing available docs that you listed below who do you think would be best as a contact for questions regarding this implementation?
best,
Victor

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

Re: Galaxy Architecture Documentation

Oren Livne
Dear Dave, Victor,
Is it possible to simply use the drmma job runner with the condor drmma lib.so?
Thanks!
Oren

On 9/22/2011 3:21 PM, Victor Ruotti wrote:
[...]

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

Re: Galaxy Architecture Documentation

Nate Coraor (nate@bx.psu.edu)
Oren,

I do believe some folks have done this, I am a bit surprised none have
replied.  But yes, since Condor supports DRMAA, you should be able to
point $DRMAA_LIBRARY_PATH at Condor's libdrmaa.so, enable the drmaa
runner, and try it out.

--nate

Oren Livne wrote:

> Dear Dave, Victor,
> Is it possible to simply use the drmma job runner with the condor
> drmma lib.so?
> Thanks!
> Oren
>
> On 9/22/2011 3:21 PM, Victor Ruotti wrote:
> >Hi Dave,
> >That was me!
> >I'm currently talking with the condor folks here in Madison WI.
> >It would be great to get galaxy going with Condor since condor
> >nows forms part of red hat.
> >
> >Besides the existing available docs that you listed below who do
> >you think would be best as a contact for questions regarding this
> >implementation?
> >best,
> >Victor
> >
> >On Sep 21, 2011, at 12:16 PM, Dave Clements wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Oren,

> >>Nabble (http://gmod.827538.n3.nabble.com/Galaxy-f829901.html)
> >>and searched for Condor (http://gmod.827538.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=829901&query=condor <http://gmod.827538.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=829901&query=condor>).
> >>It appears that Ravi Madduri @ Argonne has done some work with
> >>this.
> >>
> >>I was also at a meeting in March with someone from Wisconsin
> >>(where I think Condor is currently developed) and they indicated
> >>their might be interest in helping Galaxy work with Condor.
> >>I/you can pursue this option as well.
> >>
> >>Dave C.
> >>

> >>On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Oren Livne <[hidden email]
> >><mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >>
> >>    Dear Dave,
> >>
> >>    This was very useful. Thank you so much. Specifically, I am
> >>    trying to integrate Galaxy with Condor, which supports DRMAA. Is
> >>    there an existing Condor job runner implementation, or any useful
> >>    code for submitting Galaxy jobs to Condor?
> >>
> >>    Thanks!
> >>
> >>    Oren

> >>--
> >>http://galaxyproject.org/
> >>http://getgalaxy.org/
> >>http://usegalaxy.org/
> >>http://galaxyproject.org/wiki/
> >>
> >>___________________________________________________________
> >>The Galaxy User list should be used for the discussion of
> >>Galaxy analysis and other features on the public server
> >>at usegalaxy.org <http://usegalaxy.org>.  Please keep all
> >>replies on the list by
> >>using "reply all" in your mail client.  For discussion of
> >>local Galaxy instances and the Galaxy source code, please
> >>use the Galaxy Development list:

> >>To manage your subscriptions to this and other Galaxy lists,
> >>please use the interface at:
> >>
> >>http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

> please use the interface at:
>
>   http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

please use the interface at:

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

Injecting External File References

Oren Livne
Dear All,

We have a lot of sequencing data files whose locations and identifiers
are managed by our home-grown webapp. We'd like to enable users to
single-sign-on from our webapp into Galaxy (we will be using open ID on
both systems for that). When the user opens a Galaxy window, we'd like
them to be able to access the data files on our system which they have
permissions to see.

How should we go about that without copying or moving files? Should we
make a new data library, or (preferably) create our identifier service
and make it a remote data source/library that galaxy can see and that
can be browsed like other data libraries? Is there an API we should
write our service against, or wrap files with appropriate galaxy meta
data, etc.?

Thank you so much,
Oren

please use the interface at:

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

Re: Injecting External File References

Nate Coraor (nate@bx.psu.edu)
Oren Livne wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> We have a lot of sequencing data files whose locations and
> identifiers are managed by our home-grown webapp. We'd like to
> enable users to single-sign-on from our webapp into Galaxy (we will
> be using open ID on both systems for that). When the user opens a
> Galaxy window, we'd like them to be able to access the data files on
> our system which they have permissions to see.
>
> How should we go about that without copying or moving files? Should
> we make a new data library, or (preferably) create our identifier
> service and make it a remote data source/library that galaxy can see
> and that can be browsed like other data libraries? Is there an API
> we should write our service against, or wrap files with appropriate
> galaxy meta data, etc.?

Hi Oren,

Without knowing the full architecture it's a bit hard to say what the
best solution is.  However, Galaxy's API does allow for "upload" from
locations on the filesystem or from an FTP/HTTP/HTTPS url to a data
library, so you should be able to use this to do what you're talking
about.

Thanks,
--nate

> Thank you so much,