Galaxy Tool permission/Access

sohkhan
Hi,

I am wondering if there is way to manage user access to Galaxy tools?

I.E, certain users are restricted to use certain tools.
Thanks.

-Sohail

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

Re: Galaxy Tool permission/Access

Hans-Rudolf Hotz

On 09/19/2011 04:35 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if there is way to manage user access to Galaxy tools?
>
> I.E, certain users are restricted to use certain tools.
> Thanks.

Hi Sohail

We use a 'quick and dirty' solution by enforcing log-in and then taking
advantage of the reserved variables "$__user_email__"
(see: http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Tools/Tool%20Config%20Syntax)

add "$__user_email__" to the command line, eg:

<command interpreter="perl">
  access_data.pl $dir $userEmail $output
</command>

and then use a little wrapper, or do the test in the script itself, eg:

my $priv_user = "geek\@fmi.ch";
my $file = $ARGV[0];
my $user = $ARGV[1];

unless ($user eq $priv_user) {
  print "you don't have access to this data";
  exit; }

open (FILE, "$file");

of coursde, instead of hard coding,  you can expand this by using a little
database where you store all the 'privileged users'.

Regards, Hans

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/