[Gmod-ajax] Adding Coding sequence to feature info popup

[Gmod-ajax] Adding Coding sequence to feature info popup

Sofia Robb
Hi,

I want to add the concatenated CDS to the feature info popup window. I am guessing a plugin could be written to handle this. Can someone point me to a plugin that works with the feature info window that I can use as a template to start? Also any other pointers or tips would be very helpful.

Thanks!!
Sofia

Re: Adding Coding sequence to feature info popup

Scott Cain
Hi Sofia,

I've been working on sequence viewers for my gene tracks, and I have one that I'm pretty happy with: https://github.com/tsaari88/FeatureSequence  I have it working on WormBase's staging site:

If you right click on a transcript and select view sequence, you'll see it in action.  One of the options is to hide various subfeatures, so if you hide introns and UTRs, you get concatenated CDS segments.  I'm liking it a lot right now.

Scott

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:03 PM, Sofia Robb <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I want to add the concatenated CDS to the feature info popup window. I am guessing a plugin could be written to handle this. Can someone point me to a plugin that works with the feature info window that I can use as a template to start? Also any other pointers or tips would be very helpful.

Thanks!!
Sofia

Re: Adding Coding sequence to feature info popup

Saari, Travis

Hi Sofia,

I’ve written a plugin called FeatureSequence, which can be found here: https://github.com/tsaari88/FeatureSequence

It doesn’t use the default feature info window, but instead launches its own content dialog, where you have the ability to manipulate the subfeatures a little bit.

Currently, I’d suggest using the development branch, so using the following git command:

git clone -b develop https://github.com/tsaari88/FeatureSequence

while in your plugins directory should get you a working plugin.

Pretty soon I will be putting together another release, fixing bugs and whatnot. Let me know if this works for you, and of course any feedback is welcomed.

Best,

Travis

I want to add the concatenated CDS to the feature info popup window. I am guessing a plugin could be written to handle this. Can someone point me to a plugin that works with the feature info window that I can use as a template to start? Also any other pointers or tips would be very helpful.

Thanks!!

Sofia

Re: Adding Coding sequence to feature info popup

Saari, Travis

I should have included that you also need to add a way to call the plugin into your trackList.json as is mentioned in the readme. Then you should have a working plugin. Let me know if you need help along the way.

Best,

Travis

I want to add the concatenated CDS to the feature info popup window. I am guessing a plugin could be written to handle this. Can someone point me to a plugin that works with the feature info window that I can use as a template to start? Also any other pointers or tips would be very helpful.

Thanks!!

Sofia

I want to add the concatenated CDS to the feature info popup window. I am guessing a plugin could be written to handle this. Can someone point me to a plugin that works with the feature info window that I can use as a template to start? Also any other pointers or tips would be very helpful.

Thanks!!

Sofia

Re: Adding Coding sequence to feature info popup

Sofia Robb
This is working great! Thank you so much. I have one question, I get this error when I load the plugin:

dojo.js:35 TypeError: Cannot use 'in' operator to search for 'name' in NeatCanvasFeatures

If i disable the NeatCanvasFeatures, the FeatureSequence plugin works well. Is there something I can do about this?

Thanks,
Sofia

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Saari, Travis <[hidden email]> wrote:

I should have included that you also need to add a way to call the plugin into your trackList.json as is mentioned in the readme. Then you should have a working plugin. Let me know if you need help along the way.

Best,

Travis

I want to add the concatenated CDS to the feature info popup window. I am guessing a plugin could be written to handle this. Can someone point me to a plugin that works with the feature info window that I can use as a template to start? Also any other pointers or tips would be very helpful.

Thanks!!

Sofia

Re: Adding Coding sequence to feature info popup

Saari, Travis

This is a new one to me, as I’ve never tried the NeatCanvasFeatures plugin before. I’ll have a look into it.

Travis

I want to add the concatenated CDS to the feature info popup window. I am guessing a plugin could be written to handle this. Can someone point me to a plugin that works with the feature info window that I can use as a template to start? Also any other pointers or tips would be very helpful.

Thanks!!

Sofia

Re: Adding Coding sequence to feature info popup

Keiran Raine
Hi Travis,

How does it handle multi transcript genes that appears as a single item?  Does it collapse them into a single unique structure or offer a menu to select the individual transcript?

Kind Regards,

Keiran Raine
Principal Bioinformatician
Cancer Genome Project
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute

Tel:+44 (0)1223 834244 Ext: 7703
Office: H104

On 16 Jun 2016, at 17:40, Saari, Travis <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is a new one to me, as I’ve never tried the NeatCanvasFeatures plugin before. I’ll have a look into it.

Travis

I want to add the concatenated CDS to the feature info popup window. I am guessing a plugin could be written to handle this. Can someone point me to a plugin that works with the feature info window that I can use as a template to start? Also any other pointers or tips would be very helpful.

Thanks!!
Sofia

Re: Adding Coding sequence to feature info popup

Saari, Travis

Hi Keiran,

The plugin currently doesn’t have a way of intelligently handling three-leveled tracks ( gene -> mRNA -> CDS/Exon). I am thinking of implementing a solution to this in the future, in the form of a selection menu to choose between transcripts. It will take a bit of effort, though.

In the meantime, it may be possible to re-load a track as two-leveled feature track. This issue is described here:

https://github.com/tsaari88/FeatureSequence/issues/1#issuecomment-202350815

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions, comments, or suggestions!

Best,

Travis Saari

Student Services Contractor at

US-EPA