[Gmod-ajax] Development status

David Breimann
Dear JBrowse developers,

I would greatly appreciate if you could drop a short note about
development status and the tentative schedule for the availability of
new features in the near future.

Just a (personal) reminder - what I'm missing the most are:
- Displaying numerical values on WIG tracks (scale and show-as-you-point)
- Customize pop-out baloons for features (as in GBrowse)
- Choosing glyphs/color of glyph using feature-specific data (so we
can have different glyphs in the same track, e.g. according to some
comment in the relevant GFF3 line).

I hope development is going well -- it's hard to tell since
jbrowse.org and the git repository seem a bit neglected.

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Re: Development status

Ian Holmes
Dear David,

We have been posting more-or-less monthly to the blog at jbrowse.org
and, in these posts, have advertised the fact that we are now releasing
jbrowse tarballs on a quarterly basis. So you can expect the next
release in December.

There have been several commits to github over the last month. The last
was on 10/18. Please be aware that there are several branches, so if you
do not see activity on the master branch, you could try one of the
others (currently evohack, for the ongoing GMOD Evo hackathon, and
jsongen-refactor for some work towards the next release). Note also that
some development happens in git repos away from github.com, so just
because you haven't seen any commits for a week or two, doesn't mean
nothing is happening.

I'm sorry if quarterly releases, monthly blog posts and regular github
commits aren't enough activity for you, but that's really about as much
as we can support right now - and actually I think it's quite a
respectable level of activity (far from the "neglect" you allude to). So
I'm not sure what your expectations are.

It's great that you have many feature requests; so do a lot of users!
There is a long list at jbrowse.lighthouseapp.com. Have you entered your
requests there, or checked to see whether they overlap with other requests?

We are continually looking for ways to raise jbrowse's profile and
potentially secure new streams of funding, so that we can ramp up
development. In order to do this, it is very helpful to have examples of
working jbrowse instances, so as to demonstrate that jbrowse is useful
to the community. In this context, I would ask that if you have any
examples of jbrowse running, please do share them on this list. I would
be happy to then post them on the jbrowse.org blog.

Best wishes,
Ian

On 11/9/10 12:27 PM, David Breimann wrote:

> Dear JBrowse developers,
>
> I would greatly appreciate if you could drop a short note about
> development status and the tentative schedule for the availability of
> new features in the near future.
>
> Just a (personal) reminder - what I'm missing the most are:
> - Displaying numerical values on WIG tracks (scale and show-as-you-point)
> - Customize pop-out baloons for features (as in GBrowse)
> - Choosing glyphs/color of glyph using feature-specific data (so we
> can have different glyphs in the same track, e.g. according to some
> comment in the relevant GFF3 line).
>
> I hope development is going well -- it's hard to tell since
> jbrowse.org and the git repository seem a bit neglected.
>
> Keep up the good work!
>
> Dave

Re: Development status

David Breimann
Dear Ian,

I'm sorry if I mis-communicated myself. I'm sure you're all doing your
best and I greatly appreciate your efforts for the benift of the
community. It's the genuine excitement about JBrowse that makes me
keep a close eye on it and hope it will develop faster.

We are currently using JBrowse only internally, for testing purposes
and in-house use. Our PI won't leave our current, public browsers
until we can get most of the basic functionality to work on JBrowse
too. I will be more than happy to share our running JBrowse server as
soon as possible!

Dave