[Gmod-ajax] JBrowse tutorial browser problems in Chrome and Safari (but not Firefox)

[Gmod-ajax] JBrowse tutorial browser problems in Chrome and Safari (but not Firefox)

Joseph Pickrell
Hi all,

I'm new to JBrowse, and, after following the tutorial, set up the test
(Volvox) database here:
http://www.genomesunzipped.org/jbrowse-jbrowse-b24b842/

When viewing this page with Firefox (3.6.1), everything looks great.
However, when viewing it with Safari (5.0.2) or Chrome (6.0.472.63,
all on OS X), I can't drag any of the track names on to the display
(or rather, I can drag them, but not drop them). The demo browsers
(eg. drosophila) look fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe Pickrell

Re: JBrowse tutorial browser problems in Chrome and Safari (but not Firefox)

Mitch Skinner
  There were some things that were supposed to be committed to a
development branch, that accidentally got committed to the master
branch.  Those changes included a merge, and undoing a merge is
apparently not a completely simple thing with git[1], and I'm still
figuring out how it should be done.

For right now, you can fix the problem by going back to an earlier
revision like this:

$ git checkout 9a1542d7f80cb3836b49f6b72df2628888d38292

and you'll probably want to avoid doing a "git pull" until we revert
those changes.

Mitch

[1]
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/revert-a-faulty-merge.txt

On 09/30/2010 10:03 PM, Joseph Pickrell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to JBrowse, and, after following the tutorial, set up the test
> (Volvox) database here:
> http://www.genomesunzipped.org/jbrowse-jbrowse-b24b842/
>
> When viewing this page with Firefox (3.6.1), everything looks great.
> However, when viewing it with Safari (5.0.2) or Chrome (6.0.472.63,
> all on OS X), I can't drag any of the track names on to the display
> (or rather, I can drag them, but not drop them). The demo browsers
> (eg. drosophila) look fine.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe Pickrell

[Gmod-ajax] Did a "git reset" on the JBrowse git repository

Mitch Skinner
  The week before last, some things got committed to the JBrowse master
branch that were meant for a development branch.  I just undid those
changes and pushed the undoing to github.  I don't expect this to affect
very many people; it only affects people using git (so it won't affect
you if you downloaded JBrowse as a zip or tar file).  Just in case,
though, what follows is everything I know about how this might affect you.

If you've been following JBrowse using git, then this will only affect
you if:

A. you have local changes/commits (is anyone doing this?), or
B. if your git repo is more up to date than September 26th (i.e., if
you've done a "git clone" or a "git pull" since then)

If you do a "git pull", followed by "git status", and get a message that
says "Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by" some number of
commits, you can get back in sync with upstream jbrowse by doing this:

$ git reset --hard origin/master

If you have local changes, this will appear to get rid of them.  If you
want to keep those changes, then:

1. first of all, make a copy of your local repo before you do anything
to it, just in case.

2. before the "git reset", make sure your changes are committed, and
that you know the commit IDs.  You can do this by doing a "git log" and
making a note of the commit IDs (sha1 hashes) of your commits.

3. after the "git reset", do a "git cherry-pick" with the commit IDs
from step 2.  This will apply your changes again.

If you run into trouble with this, please let me know and I'll do what I
can to help straighten things out.

Regards,
Mitch