[Gmod-ajax] New Proposed Mailing lists

Dave Clements
Hello all,

Several action items came out of the recent GMOD Evo Hackathon, including the possible creation of new email lists.  I'm CC'ing this to every GMOD list that I think might care about the topics for the proposed new lists:

Proposed New Lists
1. Phenotype, Population, and Natural Diversity (PhenPopDiv, PPGaND?)
2. Comparative Genomics and Phylogeny (CompGenPhylo)?

Both of the proposed lists are about research areas, rather than specific components.  For example, anything about phenotypes, be it storing them (Chado, InterMine, BioMart), visualizing them (GBrowse, JBrowse, Tripal, ...), or anything else, would be appropriate for the PhenPopDiv list.

This is both a strength and a weakness.  If you care about one of these research areas then you would now have a place to go to post questions and information.  However, if you care specifically and only about, say, Phylogeny in Chado, then it is no longer clear where you should send emails.  The safest option would be to post to both gmod-schema and to CompGenPhylo.

I think the advantages of the lists outweigh the drawbacks.  However, I'd like community input before doing anything.

If you have opinions or suggested revisions (large or small), please respond.

Thanks,

Dave C

Re: [Gmodevohackathon] New Proposed Mailing lists

Sheldon McKay
I think #2 would be a good idea.  No objections to #1.

Sheldon

Sheldon McKay, PhD
Scientific Lead, iPlant Collaborative
BIO5 Institute, University of Arizona
Email: [hidden email]
Google Voice:  (203) 701-9204

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Dave Clements <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Benjamin Hitz
thirded
On Dec 2, 2010, at 10:08 AM, Sheldon McKay wrote:

> I think #2 would be a good idea.  No objections to #1.
>
> Sheldon
>
> Sheldon McKay, PhD
> Scientific Lead, iPlant Collaborative
> BIO5 Institute, University of Arizona
> Email: [hidden email]
> Google Voice:  (203) 701-9204
>

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Dave Clements
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Several action items came out of the recent GMOD Evo Hackathon,
> including the possible creation of new email lists.  I'm CC'ing this
> to every GMOD list that I think might care about the topics for the
> proposed new lists:
>
> Proposed New Lists
> 1. Phenotype, Population, and Natural Diversity (PhenPopDiv, PPGaND?)
> 2. Comparative Genomics and Phylogeny (CompGenPhylo)?
>
> Both of the proposed lists are about research areas, rather than
> specific components.  For example, anything about phenotypes, be it
> storing them (Chado, InterMine, BioMart), visualizing them (GBrowse,
> JBrowse, Tripal, ...), or anything else, would be appropriate for
> the PhenPopDiv list.
>
> This is both a strength and a weakness.  If you care about one of
> these research areas then you would now have a place to go to post
> questions and information.  However, if you care specifically and
> only about, say, Phylogeny in Chado, then it is no longer clear
> where you should send emails.  The safest option would be to post to
> both gmod-schema and to CompGenPhylo.
>
> I think the advantages of the lists outweigh the drawbacks.
> However, I'd like community input before doing anything.
>
> If you have opinions or suggested revisions (large or small), please
> respond.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave C
>
> --
> http://gmod.org/wiki/GMOD_News
> http://gmod.org/wiki/Calendar
> http://gmod.org/wiki/Help_Desk_Feedback

Ben Hitz
Senior Scientific Programmer ** Saccharomyces Genome Database ** GO
Consortium
Stanford University ** [hidden email]