[Gmod-ajax] RequestError: Unable to load jbrowse.conf status: 403

[Gmod-ajax] RequestError: Unable to load jbrowse.conf status: 403

Saari, Travis

Hi all,

I’m trying to set up a small example of jbrowse on a shared hosted website running CloudLinux. I used JBrowse 1.12.1, ran setup.sh, and configured all of the data for jbrowse on a CentOS 7 virtual machine (to avoid a lot of restrictions on my shared hosting), and everything was looking great there. When I transferred the jbrowse directory to the website, jbrowse fails to start and gives the following error:

RequestError: Unable to load <a href="http://[mywebsite].com/jbrowse/jbrowse.conf"> http://[mywebsite].com/jbrowse/jbrowse.conf status: 403.

I am also unable to view the sample volvox data. The error message is the same.

In the Opera browser’s console, I get a more informative error (I think), which points to an returned status 403 from an XMLHttpRequest at mywebsite.com/jbrowse/src/dojo/dojo.js:378:103.

Right when I uploaded the jbrowse directory to the site, it almost looked like it was going to work. Jbrowse loaded up, but there was a problem with accessing mywebsite.com/jbrowse/data/names/root.json (status 404 this time) and also mywebsite.com/jbrowse/jbrowse.conf (status 404). I was able to scroll along the length of the reference sequence, but none of the tracks were available. I have not been able to replicate this since then, with no idea why.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks,

Travis Saari

Student Services Contractor at

US-EPA

Mid-Continent Ecology Division

218. 529.5178

Re: RequestError: Unable to load jbrowse.conf status: 403

Eric Yao

RequestError: Unable to load http://[mywebsite].com/jbrowse/jbrowse.conf status: 403.

[...]

Eric,

Thanks for the help. I resolved it with my host this morning.

The XMLHttpRequest was being flagged as potentially malicious and was therefore being blocked by my host. Something to keep in mind if others have this problem in the future.

--Travis