[Gmod-ajax] Revisiting JBrowse on iPad

Cris Lawrence-2
I visited the iPad link, http://jbrowse.org/touch-the-genome/, using Safari and Chrome on my iPad (iOS 5.1 - original model) and the demo worked fine.  I tried the 1.11.1 JBrowse demos  and saw nothing on either browser.  I can accept that the event listeners for touch might be absent.  But nothing was rendered.  When I tried Opera, the genome browser window does appear and the checkboxes can be checked.  But no tracks appear.  Did iPad get left behind at JBrowse ver 1.1 or is my iPad iOS version just too out of date?

- Cris

Re: Revisiting JBrowse on iPad

Robert Buels-2
Yes, it basically got left behind.  New data formats and better
scalability took priority over these past couple of years.

Would you be interested in getting it working again?  I don't have an
iPad that I can easily test with.  And we're at the point in the project
where it's really time to start building a community of people who can
contribute some help to keep the JBrowse project running over the long term.

Robert Buels
Lead Developer
JBrowse - http://jbrowse.org

On 02/06/2014 07:48 PM, Cris Lawrence wrote:

> I visited the iPad link, http://jbrowse.org/touch-the-genome/, using Safari and Chrome on my iPad (iOS 5.1 - original model) and the demo worked fine.  I tried the 1.11.1 JBrowse demos  and saw nothing on either browser.  I can accept that the event listeners for touch might be absent.  But nothing was rendered.  When I tried Opera, the genome browser window does appear and the checkboxes can be checked.  But no tracks appear.  Did iPad get left behind at JBrowse ver 1.1 or is my iPad iOS version just too out of date?
>
> - Cris

Re: Revisiting JBrowse on iPad

girlwithglasses
This might be a good project for Google Summer of Code if someone is willing to act as a mentor. I have no idea how much work would be involved, but a student might be able to make a start on it, even if they can't get the whole thing up and running.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 8:07 PM, Robert Buels <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, it basically got left behind.  New data formats and better
scalability took priority over these past couple of years.

Would you be interested in getting it working again?  I don't have an
iPad that I can easily test with.  And we're at the point in the project
where it's really time to start building a community of people who can
contribute some help to keep the JBrowse project running over the long term.

Robert Buels
Lead Developer
JBrowse - http://jbrowse.org

On 02/06/2014 07:48 PM, Cris Lawrence wrote:
> I visited the iPad link, http://jbrowse.org/touch-the-genome/, using Safari and Chrome on my iPad (iOS 5.1 - original model) and the demo worked fine.  I tried the 1.11.1 JBrowse demos  and saw nothing on either browser.  I can accept that the event listeners for touch might be absent.  But nothing was rendered.  When I tried Opera, the genome browser window does appear and the checkboxes can be checked.  But no tracks appear.  Did iPad get left behind at JBrowse ver 1.1 or is my iPad iOS version just too out of date?
>
> - Cris

Amelia Ireland
GMOD Community Support
Generic Model Organism Database project