[Gmod-ajax] "Unresponsive script" in Firefox

[Gmod-ajax] "Unresponsive script" in Firefox

Scott Cain
Hi All,

Recently (perhaps with the last Firefox release, but I don't really know, as it's not my main browser), our JBrowse instance has started tripping Firefox's slow javascript message ("debug script", "stop script" or "continue").  If I hit continue 3 or 4 times, it will display, but I don't really expect users to do that.  Does anybody have suggestions for things I can do to make this better?  If you'd like to look at the browser in the wild, see:

Re: "Unresponsive script" in Firefox

Colin
A basic look at your website load indicates that 20+ seconds are spent doing CRC32

I would cross reference that with the jbrowse source code to see what might be the problem. For example, CRC32 calculation appears to be evaluated in the track metadata store. I am just speculating, but maybe you have too much metadata.

Screenshot of the profiler results attached

-Colin

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Recently (perhaps with the last Firefox release, but I don't really know, as it's not my main browser), our JBrowse instance has started tripping Firefox's slow javascript message ("debug script", "stop script" or "continue").  If I hit continue 3 or 4 times, it will display, but I don't really expect users to do that.  Does anybody have suggestions for things I can do to make this better?  If you'd like to look at the browser in the wild, see:

t1.png (394K) Download Attachment

Re: "Unresponsive script" in Firefox

Raymond Wan-2
Hi Scott,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 5:28 AM, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Recently (perhaps with the last Firefox release, but I don't really know, as
> it's not my main browser), our JBrowse instance has started tripping
> Firefox's slow javascript message ("debug script", "stop script" or
> "continue").  If I hit continue 3 or 4 times, it will display, but I don't
> really expect users to do that.  Does anybody have suggestions for things I
> can do to make this better?  If you'd like to look at the browser in the
> wild, see:
>
> http://staging.wormbase.org/tools/genome/jbrowse/?data=data%2Fc_elegans_PRJNA13758&loc=II%3A9785168..9839817&tracks=Protein%20motifs&highlight=

I had a similar problem a few months ago [1] -- see last message I
posted in the thread.

At the time, I was the sole user and I had to set it aside and work on
something else.  After a while, I returned to it with Firefox again
and the problem didn't appear [so far].

It would be nice to figure out the cause of it...  The Javascript
warning is something that would panic most users.

As I indicated in that message, there are ways around it within
Firefox [2].  For example, increasing the time that Firefox waits for
the script.  You could ask users to do that...maybe it will do until
the next Firefox update.  Also, you can set the default view of the
genome to just a gene, so that it forces the initial transfer of data
to be small.

Just a bunch of uneducated guesses..if you figure out the source of
the problem, I'd love to hear about it!  I guess the problem could
crop up with a future update to Firefox...

Ray

[1]  http://gmod.827538.n3.nabble.com/Gmod-ajax-Importing-features-from-GFF3-file-td4049717.html#a4049770

[2]  https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/warning-unresponsive-script