[Gmod-tripal-devel] Chado webservices API?

[Gmod-tripal-devel] Chado webservices API?

Eric Rasche-3
Howdy all,

I'd like to interface with the Chado webservices API, but the demo seems to be unavailable and I wasn't aware of any source for it ever being announced.

If there's either a working spec that I can implement locally, or code published (in any state) I'd be very interested in making use of that. We have a number of AngularJS applications (because microservices! and other buzzwords) and would like to continue using that to interface with APIs, rather than deploying tripal as an intermediary.

Ciao,
Eric

--
Eric Rasche
Programmer II

Center for Phage Technology
Rm 312A, BioBio
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843

Re: [Gmod-tripal-devel] Chado webservices API?

Stephen Ficklin-2
Hi Eric,

The Chado-centric web services demo was taken down as we have redesigned how we are going to handle web services.   Despite some initial interest in having  direct access to Chado we found there would be issues with protecting data in cases where it needed to remain private. Also there was a second problem in that data taken directly from Chado may not be the same as what is presented on the equivalent page (e.g. gene stock, page) because folks can edit templates to hide, or manipulate what is shown.   So, we have created a new design for web services that solves both of those problems.  And, we removed the Chado-centric web services demo which was posted early last year.

Support for web services is currently being implemented for Tripal v3.   We should have a Tripal v3 demo by the end of the month with an example of new web services.   Is that time frame fine for you?

Web services won't be available for Tripal v2 but we are working to make the upgrade process from v2 to v3 as seamless as possible so that when we do make a Tripal v3 release it should be relatively easy to upgrade (much more so than from v1 to v2).

Stephen

On 3/1/2016 3:54 PM, Eric Rasche wrote:
Howdy all,

I'd like to interface with the Chado webservices API, but the demo seems to be unavailable and I wasn't aware of any source for it ever being announced.

If there's either a working spec that I can implement locally, or code published (in any state) I'd be very interested in making use of that. We have a number of AngularJS applications (because microservices! and other buzzwords) and would like to continue using that to interface with APIs, rather than deploying tripal as an intermediary.

Ciao,
Eric

--
Eric Rasche
Programmer II

Center for Phage Technology
Rm 312A, BioBio
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843
<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:404-692-2048">404-692-2048

Re: [Gmod-tripal-devel] Chado webservices API?

Eric Rasche-3
Hi Stephen,

On 03/02/2016 12:48 AM, Stephen Ficklin wrote:
Hi Eric,

The Chado-centric web services demo was taken down as we have redesigned how we are going to handle web services.   Despite some initial interest in having  direct access to Chado we found there would be issues with protecting data in cases where it needed to remain private.
Yeah, that isn't surprising. I assumed there would be some eventual plan to handle that (e.g. API keys/RBAC). What level of granularity were people interested in protecting data at? If we were to duplicate existing work in the form of a completely standalone API, I'd like to make it at least somewhat useful to others.
Also there was a second problem in that data taken directly from Chado may not be the same as what is presented on the equivalent page (e.g. gene stock, page) because folks can edit templates to hide, or manipulate what is shown.   So, we have created a new design for web services that solves both of those problems.  And, we removed the Chado-centric web services demo which was posted early last year.
Makes sense.

Support for web services is currently being implemented for Tripal v3.   We should have a Tripal v3 demo by the end of the month with an example of new web services.   Is that time frame fine for you?
Sure! Absolutely. I'll look forward to it.

I've been wanting easier, web based access to chado for a while, so I can have JBrowse instances talking to slightly more "live" data than what's available with biodb-to-json+cron.

Web services won't be available for Tripal v2 but we are working to make the upgrade process from v2 to v3 as seamless as possible so that when we do make a Tripal v3 release it should be relatively easy to upgrade (much more so than from v1 to v2).
Not an issue in our case, but great to hear that effort is going into it! :)