[Gmod-tripal-devel] Tripal Developers Meetings

[Gmod-tripal-devel] Tripal Developers Meetings

Stephen Ficklin-2
Hi All,

We would like to begin our regularly scheduled Tripal Developer
Meetings.  The goal of these meetings will be:

1)  To discuss needs of the community of users
2)  Discuss progress on Tripal core functionality
3)  Discuss what folks are working to foster cooperation in development

Because we have Tripal users and developers across the world it may not
be feasible to have a meeting at a time when everyone can attend due to
time zone differences.   So, what I'd like to do is schedule a meeting
time that suits most folks who want to attend.  If you are interested in
attending, can you send me your availability times in Greenwich Mean
Time (GMT)?  Here's a website to help with time conversions:
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/

Thanks!
Stephen

Re: [Gmod-tripal-devel] Tripal Developers Meetings

Stephen Ficklin-2
Hi All,

Thank you to those who responded about times that work for you for a
monthly Tripal Developer's Meeting.  From the times given it looks as
though Tuesday's at 4pm (16:00) GMT will work best for everyone.  Below
is the same time in various other time zones:

Central Summer European:  6pm (18:00)
Eastern Daylight US: 12pm
Central Daylight US: 11am
Central Standard Canada: 10am
Pacific Daylight US: 9am

Once daylight savings changes occur that will change the times above for
everyone plus or minus an hour, and unfortunately not everyone will
switch at the same time (or at all), so it may get a bit confusing
during those changes.  I'll try to keep it all straight.

If we held our developer's meeting on the first Tuesday of every month
then that should be easy enough to remember and would place the first
meeting on October 7th (3 weeks from now).  If anyone has any objections
or if I have not correctly accounted for your schedule please let me
know. If folks are anxious to meet earlier let me know and perhaps we
can try for next week Tuesday 23rd, and then pick up again on the first
Tuesday of each month in November on the 7th.

If I don't hear otherwise, I will plan for the first meeting on October
7th and I will send out a reminder as we get closer.

Thanks,
Stephen

On 9/5/2014 12:34 PM, Stephen Ficklin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We would like to begin our regularly scheduled Tripal Developer
> Meetings.  The goal of these meetings will be:
>
> 1)  To discuss needs of the community of users
> 2)  Discuss progress on Tripal core functionality
> 3)  Discuss what folks are working to foster cooperation in development
>
> Because we have Tripal users and developers across the world it may
> not be feasible to have a meeting at a time when everyone can attend
> due to time zone differences.   So, what I'd like to do is schedule a
> meeting time that suits most folks who want to attend. If you are
> interested in attending, can you send me your availability times in
> Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)?  Here's a website to help with time
> conversions: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/
>
> Thanks!
> Stephen

Re: [Gmod-tripal-devel] Tripal Developers Meetings

Michael Dondrup-3
Hi Stephen and All,

I hope this is an appropriate way of making these proposals. We are still trapped on Tripal 1.1
but I have checked the Demo site for these functions. From my experience, most users
praise the current functionality, especially when it comes to annotation data like KEGG
and InterProScan annotations, Blast, etc.. When our users are looking at a newly annotated genome
(almost none of the genes has a recognizable gene name yet)
they tend to first try to find their genes of interest in the genome data, e.g. they search for
keywords in the already existing Blast hits and look at the evidence.

I would therefore like to propose the introduction of a few more search options for your consideration
 in case they are not already available or possibly easy to configure e.g.:

 - possibility to search the KEGG-brite hierarchy for a pathway (work around is currently to search KEGG pages first, then reproduce the path in tripal)
 - search for genes by  InterProScan annotation or GO terms (e.g. via a view) like it is possible for Blast searches
 - search features by annotation property (e.g. Note field often contains some annotation) or by aliases

Also it would be extremely neat, if the Kegg brite pages in tripal would somehow link to the reconstructed pathway in
KEGG (including present KO's).

I hope that these thoughts are somehow relevant for the discussion.

Best
Michael