[Gmod-tripal-devel] Tripal HTML and biological web resources indexation

[Gmod-tripal-devel] Tripal HTML and biological web resources indexation

Guignon, Valentin (Bioversity-France)
Hi!

I got a colleague (in cc) working on semantic web who would like to know if the Tripal community could include in the HTML output of its various biological objects some tags to enable a better indexation of that data by search engines.

Here is his question:
"Bioschema ( https://github.com/BioSchemas ) plans to extend schema.org ( http://schema.org/ ) and will ease the indexing of biological web resources.
Do you think Tripal and JBrowse could implement and contribute to these specifications in the future ?"

As far as I understood it, it's just a matter of HTML tag properties to add to our HTML templates.
For instance, if we output data of a person, it would look like this:
----------
----------
I think it's not a big deal but would need time to understand the thing and find out how to map our data with those tags.

What's our answer(s)? What do you guys think?
Cheers,

   Val

Re: [Gmod-tripal-devel] Tripal HTML and biological web resources indexation

Stephen Ficklin-2
Hi Valentin,

Are you referring to RDFa (https://rdfa.info/) or something similar?
It would not be difficult for Tripal v3 to do this. With the redesign of
Tripal v3 based on controlled vocabularies I think this could be added
and was something we were already considering but we didn't have a
specific use case.   It sounds like there may be one :-)  I'd be happy
to chat more with anyone interested in this.

Stephen

On 4/1/2016 3:49 AM, Guignon, Valentin (Bioversity-France) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I got a colleague (in cc) working on semantic web who would like to know if the Tripal community could include in the HTML output of its various biological objects some tags to enable a better indexation of that data by search engines.
>
> Here is his question:
> "Bioschema ( https://github.com/BioSchemas ) plans to extend schema.org ( http://schema.org/ ) and will ease the indexing of biological web resources.
> Do you think Tripal and JBrowse could implement and contribute to these specifications in the future ?"
>
> As far as I understood it, it's just a matter of HTML tag properties to add to our HTML templates.
> For instance, if we output data of a person, it would look like this:
> ----------
> ----------
> I think it's not a big deal but would need time to understand the thing and find out how to map our data with those tags.
>
> What's our answer(s)? What do you guys think?
> Cheers,
>
>     Val

Re: [Gmod-tripal-devel] Tripal HTML and biological web resources indexation

Pierre Larmande
Hi Stephen,

indeed we are talking about this ecosystem that coming with RDFa such as schema.org and now there is a new consortium BioSchema that aims to extend and specialize  it for the bioinformatics  https://github.com/BioSchemas

I am not involve in the project, just attended a brain storming workshop where I mentionned the work of standardization/interoperability your are doing with gmod and tripal.  Imagine several Tripal and Gmod apps that could be indexed by google/bing/Yahoo… and linked to others resources :)

[hidden email] and [hidden email] are the guys who led the discussion.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Pierre