[Gmod-tripal-devel] some drush commands failing

[Gmod-tripal-devel] some drush commands failing

Scott Cain
Hi All,

First, let me start with this: I hate RedHat.  I'm trying to install Tripal on a RHEL system for somebody and it's been a general pain.  I've turned off SELinux but still having issues.  I should also say that I generally don't care for Composer (the php tool for installing other php tools--it seems like a massive security boondoggle waiting to happen).  Using debian/ubuntu systems by comparison is a dream.

Anyway, I installed drush with composer on this system (the RPM for drush couldn't be found) and it only sort of works.  I'm able to use drush to download packages, but if I try to enable a module or run trp-run-jobs, I get the rather annoying and useless message pasted below.  I've tried the fixes suggested in the linked pages (changing localhost to 127.0.0.1 in the settings.php file) to no avail, and the drupal site works, so the database itself is fine.

Has anyone ever seen this before and got it working?  Without drush, I can't really run jobs, can I?

# drush trp-run-jobs --user=drupal
The drush command 'trp-run-jobs' could not be found.  Run `drush     [error]
cache-clear drush` to clear the commandfile cache if you have
installed new extensions.
Drush was not able to start (bootstrap) the Drupal database.         [error]
Hint: This may occur when Drush is trying to:
 * bootstrap a site that has not been installed or does not have a
configured database. In this case you can select another site with a
working database setup by specifying the URI to use with the --uri
parameter on the command line. See `drush topic docs-aliases` for
details.
 * connect the database through a socket. The socket file may be
wrong or the php-cli may have no access to it in a jailed shell. See

Drush was attempting to connect to:
 Drupal version         :  7.32
 Site URI               :  http://default
 PHP executable         :  /usr/bin/php
 PHP configuration      :  /etc/php.ini
 PHP OS                 :  Linux
 Drush version          :  7.0-dev
 Drush temp directory   :  /tmp
 Drush configuration    :
 Drush alias files      :
 Drupal root            :  /var/www/html
 Site path              :  sites/default

Re: [Gmod-tripal-devel] some drush commands failing

Stephen Ficklin-2
Hi Scott,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been out and still catching up.  A few questions for you.  Can you run any drush commands (e.g. drush status, or drush updatedb)?   If you run 'drush pm-list' does it recognize that Tripal core is enabled?  What version of drush are you using (drush --version)?

The newest versions of Drush have issues with the development branch of Tripal, unfortunately, which we need to fix, but perhaps a manual installation of drush might help.  There are some instructions here: http://tripal.info/node/143

BTW... if you have any tips for a RedHat install that you'd like to share I'd love to add it to the tutorial.

Stephen

On 11/7/2014 4:20 PM, Scott Cain wrote:
[...]

Hi Stephen,

I'm using drush version 7.0-dev installed with composer.  I can issue some drush commands: status and pm-download work; however, when I do anything that needs to connect to the database, it doesn't seem to be able to connect, even though the web served portion of drupal works fine.  I'm wondering if there is a difference in how drush connects to the database on the command line is different from how the web server is connecting, and thus it's being blocked some how (maybe a firewall type thing); I can getting into the database via psql, so it's not a straight forward firewall thing.  I'm using it in /var/www/html, and drush status does imply that it knows there is a drupal install there, because it lists /var/www/html as the drupal root and sites/default as the site path.  It does have "drush configuration" empty though, which might be related to the problem (or not--I have no idea :-)

About the directions for a manual install of drush: drush wouldn't allow itself to be installed manually from a git checkout, so I suspect your directions are out of date; that's why I had to use composer.  And suggestions for a RedHat install tutorial: DON'T! :-)

Thanks for any suggestions,
Scott

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Stephen Ficklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

One more thing; while I can successfully execute the command drush status, the returned content is suggestive of a problem:

# drush status
 Drupal version         :  7.32
 Site URI               :  http://default
 PHP executable         :  /usr/bin/php
 PHP configuration      :  /etc/php.ini
 PHP OS                 :  Linux
 Drush version          :  7.0-dev
 Drush temp directory   :  /tmp
 Drush configuration    :
 Drush alias files      :
 Drupal root            :  /var/www/html
 Site path              :  sites/default

Note the absence of any connection info for the database.  Even though I ran this in /var/www/html and even /var/www/html/sites/default (where settings.php is), it doesn't seem to be reading the settings file.  Is there a way to force it to see the settings file?  I don't see an obvious way to do that from the drush --help output, but I think there is complexity there that is escaping me. :-)

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm going to try reinstalling drush.  When I initially installed it with composer, it put it in /home/root/.composer, which I though was a particularly stupid place to put it (the default location is $HOME/.composer/), so I moved it to /var/lib/composer (for lack of a better place to put it) and then symlinked /usr/local/bin/drush to where composer put it (deep in /var/lib/composer).  While stuff like pm-download and status do work, I'm wondering if a broke it in some subtle way when I moved it.  I've tried specifying --root and --uri on the command line to no effect (and not surprisingly, since drush appeared to have those things right anyway, even though it doesn't seem to read the settings.php file).

Maybe I could use VirtualBox to install an ubuntu system on the redhat system and nobody would be the wiser :-)

Scott

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Arrg!

I figured it out--the stupid numbering of drush versions is what was tripping me up.  I was using drush 7.0-dev, which you need for drupal 8.  Naturally, you need drush 6 for drupal 7.

It works now, but that's several hours of my life I'll never get back :-)

Scott

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you got it working. I'll check on the git checkout command for drush in the tutorial.  That was supposed to give you D7 compatible version.  I just added that a month or so ago but I'll double check it to ensure there's not a mistake with it.

Stephen

GMOD Coordinator (http://gmod.org/)                     <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:216-392-3087" value="+12163923087" target="_blank">216-392-3087