HSPs colored by bitscore

Chris Childers
Hi all,

Our last update included the addition of per-feature styles for BLAST results, setting HSP color by bitscore to be consistent with the BLAST report. If you want to see it in action, you can try it here: https://i5k.nal.usda.gov/webapp/blast/ against any genome sequence.

This functionality is made possible by the creation of a new feature type (DraggableBLASTFeatures), and was developed by Han Lin as an extension of the BLAST platform he and the other students in our group developed.

Since this inherits from DraggableHTMLFeatures, this is a plugin for Web Apollo and has the feature characteristics of other draggable features. Han created a fork off Web Apollo, the new code can be seen here:
https://github.com/hotdogee/Apollo/blob/draggable-blast-features/client/apollo/js/View/Track/DraggableBLASTFeatures.js

If you find this useful, please feel free to incorporate it in your projects.

Thanks,
Chris and the i5k Workspace@NAL Team

Re: HSPs colored by bitscore

Colin
Very cool! I tested out a couple of queries on the site, and the BLAST results looked like they were dynamically loaded into WebApollo nicely.

This is sort an aside, but you might be able accomplish the changes such as changing the feature color by using configuration callbacks like hooks->modify/hooks->create, but that's not to say that your approach isn't valid either :)

-Colin