How stable is trunk?

Orth, Alan (ILRI)
Hi,

I'm working on a new Ergatis install on a Rocks cluster and I think things are going well, but I've noticed there is quite a bit of activity in the repositories since the last release.  How stable is trunk?  Do you recommend sticking with tagged releases?

Alan Orth
[hidden email]
Linux Systems Administrator, ILRI-Kenya
"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone." -Bjarne Stroustrup, inventor of C++

Re: How stable is trunk?

Kevin Galens
Hey Alan,

Internally, we are using the latest stable tagged release to run production
work off of.  We also have trunk installed nightly for testing, or using
features which are not available in the latest tagged release.

That said, before we tag trunk and cut a release, we usually go through many
of our pipelines and test end to end runs of these (for example, the
prokaryotic annotation pipeline or our comparative genomics pipeline).  From
personal experience, there usually are a few things to fix due to format or
requirements changes for individual components.

The only way to see if the components you want to use are stable would be to
use them.  You could do a parallel install with the currently installed
version (just install into a different directory) and then point project
configs to use this set of code. If you run into bugs, definitely feel free
to point them out on the sourceforge bug tracker.  Chances are, we haven't
run into the issue on trunk yet and that would help us out immensely!

Kevin

On 5/27/10 10:26 AM, "Orth, Alan (ILRI)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a new Ergatis install on a Rocks cluster and I think things are
> going well, but I've noticed there is quite a bit of activity in the
> repositories since the last release.  How stable is trunk?  Do you recommend
> sticking with tagged releases?

Re: How stable is trunk?

Joshua Orvis
Kevin's right here.  While in practice most of the developers only commit what they *think* is working (and have tested locally), it's certainly not guaranteed. Progressive commits on works-in-progress aren't done too often, but it's enough of a possibility that you might not run production work from the trunk.

Joshua

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Kevin Galens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Alan,

Internally, we are using the latest stable tagged release to run production
work off of.  We also have trunk installed nightly for testing, or using
features which are not available in the latest tagged release.

That said, before we tag trunk and cut a release, we usually go through many
of our pipelines and test end to end runs of these (for example, the
prokaryotic annotation pipeline or our comparative genomics pipeline).  From
personal experience, there usually are a few things to fix due to format or
requirements changes for individual components.

The only way to see if the components you want to use are stable would be to
use them.  You could do a parallel install with the currently installed
version (just install into a different directory) and then point project
configs to use this set of code. If you run into bugs, definitely feel free
to point them out on the sourceforge bug tracker.  Chances are, we haven't
run into the issue on trunk yet and that would help us out immensely!

Kevin

On 5/27/10 10:26 AM, "Orth, Alan (ILRI)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a new Ergatis install on a Rocks cluster and I think things are
> going well, but I've noticed there is quite a bit of activity in the
> repositories since the last release.  How stable is trunk?  Do you recommend
> sticking with tagged releases?

Re: How stable is trunk?

Orth, Alan (ILRI)
Hey,

Thanks, that makes sense.  I'll check out trunk once I play around with stable for awhile.