Is there an organism-centric way to manage users?

Is there an organism-centric way to manage users?

Chris Childers
Hi all,

Is there a way to view the users with permissions on a particular organism? I was looking at the user interface, and it looks like I see a user-centric view (I can see all users), but not one that lets me select an organism and view the users with permissions for it.

We had been working towards using groups, but I'd like to be sure about the possible options as I work through this.

How are other groups managing access for Apollo2 when you've got multiple organisms?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Is there an organism-centric way to manage users?

nathandunn

Chris,

I think that this is what you are talking about (yes, its a bit rough).

In this case [hidden email] has access to Honeybee with Write permissions.   Are you wanting a query that does the same?

e.g., find all users with Write permissions on Cow (would show everyone but [hidden email]).

Adding a filter here would not be too hard to do and I could show you how to do it.

Nathan

On Aug 24, 2016, at 2:10 PM, Chris Childers <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a way to view the users with permissions on a particular organism? I was looking at the user interface, and it looks like I see a user-centric view (I can see all users), but not one that lets me select an organism and view the users with permissions for it.

We had been working towards using groups, but I'd like to be sure about the possible options as I work through this.

How are other groups managing access for Apollo2 when you've got multiple organisms?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Is there an organism-centric way to manage users?

Chris Childers
The reports view is good, and a filter by organism will be handy for certain, but this is a report tool, not a management tool.  Using your example, I was hoping to search/select cow, then see a list of all users with permissions for cow, which I could then manage permissions for those users.  The problem with disabling permissions temporarily would remove them from the view, making reinstating permissions harder as you get more users and more organisms. I can see why managing it through groups would be a lot more straightforward.

Tracking rights across projects gets a lot more complicated when everything is all together.

Thanks,
Chris

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Nathan Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I think what you want is groups (yes, I need a better interface to list all of the users).   The users tab could probably use a group filter (but that is pretty easy to add):

You can quickly update the permissions to all of the user’s in a group.  If the permissions overlap it always takes the highest permission.

Nathan

On Aug 25, 2016, at 6:15 AM, Chris Childers <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 2.18.32 PM.png>