Java heap problem

Kojiro Yano
Dear all,

We are trying to follow the instructions at http://www.intermine.org/wiki/WorkshopNov2010 to create malariamine. However, we cannot deploy the webapp because of following error

/Users/rob/svn/dev/imbuild/application.xml:114: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

We tried to increase Java heap space by

ANT_OPTS="-server -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:+UseParallelGC -Xms1024m -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1 -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=99"

However, we are still getting the same error. Could anyone suggest a possible solution to this problem?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Kojiro Yano

Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience
University of Cambridge

Re: Java heap problem

Richard Smith
Hi Kojiro,
It's unusual to run out of memory at this stage, but increasing the
ANT_OPTS is the right thing to do.  The MaxPermSize doesn't need to be
high, 128m, should be fine.  So you could then set -Xmx a bit higher
(this is the main heap space).

So you could try:

ANT_OPTS="-server -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xmx1536m -XX:+UseParallelGC
-Xms1024m -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1 -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=99"

Regards,
Richard.