Quantcast

LDAP integration and migration of users

| Threaded

LDAP integration and migration of users

Joachim Jacob | VIB |
Hi all,

I wonder if somebody with experience could enlighten me on these issues
regarding authentication of users.

- is it possible to have LDAP integration simultaneously with local
Galaxy users. What I want to reach is when LDAP integration is working,
that I can still add users through the Galaxy admin interface (users
that are not present in the LDAP).

- is there a way to transfer all histories, workflows and visualisation
to another user? For example, an existing user receives a new email and
password, and want to transfer all his/her stuff to this new account.
Can this be done? I was thinking about when a user gets transferred to
the LDAP, he/she would be able to transfer all data from the old account
to the new account.

Thanks,
Joachim

--
Joachim Jacob, PhD

Rijvisschestraat 120, 9052 Zwijnaarde
Tel: +32 9 244.66.34
Bioinformatics Training and Services (BITS)
http://www.bits.vib.be
@bitsatvib

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/
| Threaded

Re: LDAP integration and migration of users

Nate Coraor (nate@bx.psu.edu)
On Sep 11, 2012, at 5:01 AM, Joachim Jacob wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if somebody with experience could enlighten me on these issues regarding authentication of users.
>
> - is it possible to have LDAP integration simultaneously with local Galaxy users. What I want to reach is when LDAP integration is working, that I can still add users through the Galaxy admin interface (users that are not present in the LDAP).

Hi Joachim,

If you run two separate web frontends on the same database it should be possible.  They'd have the same config except that one would have use_remote_user = True and one wouldn't.  I haven't tested this so there might be complications.

> - is there a way to transfer all histories, workflows and visualisation to another user? For example, an existing user receives a new email and password, and want to transfer all his/her stuff to this new account. Can this be done? I was thinking about when a user gets transferred to the LDAP, he/she would be able to transfer all data from the old account to the new account.

The easiest way would be to just change the user's email address in the database.

--nate

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/
| Threaded

Re: LDAP integration and migration of users

Joachim Jacob | VIB |
Hi Nate,

Thanks. However, I am not sure how to proceed setting up two different
web frontends. The idea is to have a galaxy-dist-local set up with
use_remote_user = False and a galaxy-dist-ldap with the only difference
in universe_wsgi being remote_user = True? How to proceed then? I let
both services run on a different port, and I provide an online link to
the Galaxy login page for LDAP users and a link to Galaxy login page
for local users? However, I have several webhandlers configured,
besides one job manager and some job handlers.

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/