Last day at InterMine - thanks all!

Yo Yehudi-2
Hey all -

Today's my last day at InterMine - I'm just wrapping up a few things and tomorrow I'll drive to the office and drop off my laptop and grab stuff I left there at the start of the pandemic.

I've spent five years at InterMine in total and over that time I've learnt so much - I'm especially proud of growing the internship program over four rounds, from a cautious "let's give this a try" in early 2017 for GSoC and especially proud of expanding to Outreachy in 2020, to help create a broader reach and more diverse community. Watching our interns and students learn, grow, and move on to new roles - some inside the InterMine team as employees, and others as mentors for new batches of interns - fills me with so much pride. I've even gotten to meet a few face-to-face, which was extra special.

I've also loved interacting with people who run and use InterMines around the world - a great batch of open source software engineers, scientists, and everything in between. Y'all made me feel welcome and valued, and every time I got to meet one of you at a conference or a workshop it was like we'd always known each other face to face.

Finally - I just wanted to thank the InterMine team, past and present, for being great colleagues over the years. We've spent a lot of time and effort improving and updating our software, writing about it, training others on it, and presenting at conferences and community calls. It'll be weird not to see your faces near my desk or on the other end of a zoom call anymore, and the world will be a different place when my boss's name no longer autocorrects to "God" ;)

From August third I'll be working at the Wellcome Trust as a Technical Lead for their Data For Science and Health program, with a focus on open source. I'm hoping this will give me the chance to further champion good practice and community from a policy and funder level, and I'm hopeful I'll be able to go to many of the same conferences (hah, once travel is a thing one day?) that I did before.

Don't be strangers - I'll still love to hear from you. My personal email address is [hidden email], or you can find me on twitter as @yoyehudi.

Re: Last day at InterMine - thanks all!

Gos Micklem-3
Thanks again for all you've done and good luck for the future - we'll miss you!

Gos

On Jul 22 2020, Yo Yehudi wrote:

> Hey all -
>
> Today's my last day at InterMine - I'm just wrapping up a few things and
> tomorrow I'll drive to the office and drop off my laptop and grab stuff I
> left there at the start of the pandemic.
>
> I've spent five years at InterMine in total and over that time I've learnt
> so much - I'm especially proud of growing the internship program over four
> rounds, from a cautious "let's give this a try" in early 2017 for GSoC and
> especially proud of expanding to Outreachy in 2020, to help create a
> broader reach and more diverse community. Watching our interns and students
> learn, grow, and move on to new roles - some inside the InterMine team as
> employees, and others as mentors for new batches of interns - fills me with
> so much pride. I've even gotten to meet a few face-to-face, which was extra
> special.
>
> I've also loved interacting with people who run and use InterMines around
> the world - a great batch of open source software engineers, scientists,
> and everything in between. Y'all made me feel welcome and valued, and every
> time I got to meet one of you at a conference or a workshop it was like
> we'd always known each other face to face.
>
> Finally - I just wanted to thank the InterMine team, past and present, for
> being great colleagues over the years. We've spent a lot of time and effort
> improving and updating our software, writing about it, training others on
> it, and presenting at conferences and community calls. It'll be weird not
> to see your faces near my desk or on the other end of a zoom call anymore,
> and the world will be a different place when my boss's name no longer
> autocorrects to "God" ;)
>
> From August third I'll be working at the Wellcome Trust as a Technical Lead
> for their Data For Science and Health program, with a focus on open source.
> I'm hoping this will give me the chance to further champion good practice
> and community from a policy and funder level, and I'm hopeful I'll be able
> to go to many of the same conferences (hah, once travel is a thing one
> day?) that I did before.
>
> Don't be strangers - I'll still love to hear from you. My personal email
> address is [hidden email], or you can find me on twitter as @yoyehudi.

Re: Last day at InterMine - thanks all!

dmgood11
Yo, thanks for all your work helping us take of advantage of everything InterMIne has to offer.  Wishing you great success in your future endeavors!

-David

David M. Goodstein, Ph.D.
Phytozome & Plant Comparative Analysis Group
Joint Genome Institute
US Dept. of Energy - Lawrence Berkeley National Lab
https://phytozome-next.jgi.doe.gov

> On Jul 22, 2020, at 10:57 AM, Gos Micklem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks again for all you've done and good luck for the future - we'll miss you!
>
> Gos
>
> On Jul 22 2020, Yo Yehudi wrote:
>> Hey all -
>>
>> Today's my last day at InterMine - I'm just wrapping up a few things and
>> tomorrow I'll drive to the office and drop off my laptop and grab stuff I
>> left there at the start of the pandemic.
>>
>> I've spent five years at InterMine in total and over that time I've learnt
>> so much - I'm especially proud of growing the internship program over four
>> rounds, from a cautious "let's give this a try" in early 2017 for GSoC and
>> especially proud of expanding to Outreachy in 2020, to help create a
>> broader reach and more diverse community. Watching our interns and students
>> learn, grow, and move on to new roles - some inside the InterMine team as
>> employees, and others as mentors for new batches of interns - fills me with
>> so much pride. I've even gotten to meet a few face-to-face, which was extra
>> special.
>>
>> I've also loved interacting with people who run and use InterMines around
>> the world - a great batch of open source software engineers, scientists,
>> and everything in between. Y'all made me feel welcome and valued, and every
>> time I got to meet one of you at a conference or a workshop it was like
>> we'd always known each other face to face.
>>
>> Finally - I just wanted to thank the InterMine team, past and present, for
>> being great colleagues over the years. We've spent a lot of time and effort
>> improving and updating our software, writing about it, training others on
>> it, and presenting at conferences and community calls. It'll be weird not
>> to see your faces near my desk or on the other end of a zoom call anymore,
>> and the world will be a different place when my boss's name no longer
>> autocorrects to "God" ;)
>>
>> From August third I'll be working at the Wellcome Trust as a Technical Lead
>> for their Data For Science and Health program, with a focus on open source.
>> I'm hoping this will give me the chance to further champion good practice
>> and community from a policy and funder level, and I'm hopeful I'll be able
>> to go to many of the same conferences (hah, once travel is a thing one
>> day?) that I did before.
>>
>> Don't be strangers - I'll still love to hear from you. My personal email
>> address is [hidden email], or you can find me on twitter as @yoyehudi.

Re: [EXTERNAL]Re: Last day at InterMine - thanks all!

Joel Richardson-2
Dear Yo,

It's been great knowing and interacting with you, whether in person or online.
Thanks for all you've done for MouseMine and the community in general.
Best of luck!

Joel

Joel Richardson
Sr. Research Scientist
Mouse Genome Informatics
The Jackson Laboratory
600 Main Street
Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
[hidden email]
(207) 288-6435

Yo, thanks for all your work helping us take of advantage of everything InterMIne has to offer.  Wishing you great success in your future endeavors!

-David

David M. Goodstein, Ph.D.
Phytozome & Plant Comparative Analysis Group
Joint Genome Institute
US Dept. of Energy - Lawrence Berkeley National Lab
https://phytozome-next.jgi.doe.gov

> On Jul 22, 2020, at 10:57 AM, Gos Micklem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks again for all you've done and good luck for the future - we'll miss you!
>
> Gos
>
> On Jul 22 2020, Yo Yehudi wrote:
>> Hey all -
>>
>> Today's my last day at InterMine - I'm just wrapping up a few things and
>> tomorrow I'll drive to the office and drop off my laptop and grab stuff I
>> left there at the start of the pandemic.
>>
>> I've spent five years at InterMine in total and over that time I've learnt
>> so much - I'm especially proud of growing the internship program over four
>> rounds, from a cautious "let's give this a try" in early 2017 for GSoC and
>> especially proud of expanding to Outreachy in 2020, to help create a
>> broader reach and more diverse community. Watching our interns and students
>> learn, grow, and move on to new roles - some inside the InterMine team as
>> employees, and others as mentors for new batches of interns - fills me with
>> so much pride. I've even gotten to meet a few face-to-face, which was extra
>> special.
>>
>> I've also loved interacting with people who run and use InterMines around
>> the world - a great batch of open source software engineers, scientists,
>> and everything in between. Y'all made me feel welcome and valued, and every
>> time I got to meet one of you at a conference or a workshop it was like
>> we'd always known each other face to face.
>>
>> Finally - I just wanted to thank the InterMine team, past and present, for
>> being great colleagues over the years. We've spent a lot of time and effort
>> improving and updating our software, writing about it, training others on
>> it, and presenting at conferences and community calls. It'll be weird not
>> to see your faces near my desk or on the other end of a zoom call anymore,
>> and the world will be a different place when my boss's name no longer
>> autocorrects to "God" ;)
>>
>> From August third I'll be working at the Wellcome Trust as a Technical Lead
>> for their Data For Science and Health program, with a focus on open source.
>> I'm hoping this will give me the chance to further champion good practice
>> and community from a policy and funder level, and I'm hopeful I'll be able
>> to go to many of the same conferences (hah, once travel is a thing one
>> day?) that I did before.
>>
>> Don't be strangers - I'll still love to hear from you. My personal email
>> address is [hidden email], or you can find me on twitter as @yoyehudi.
---