Latest greatest bluegenes branch?

Sam Hokin-3
Hi, folks, especially Kevin. I wanted to play around with the new bluegenes version you demoed last week, but the current dev branch
under intermine seems to be a previous version. So I looked under uosl and found lots and lots of branches, each seeming to be
specific to a particular new feature (which is a good way to do things), but without a merged one. dev is even with intermine:dev.

Which branch would you recommend I play with? Or should I just wait until you release 0.11.0 on the intermine repo? At some point I
need to hop on the bluegenes bandwagon, but if it's still a fast-moving target, I'll wait another year or so. Maybe it doesn't
matter for things I want to do, but Kevin's new features seemed pretty significant to me.

Re: Latest greatest bluegenes branch?

K.H. Reierskog
Hello Sam,

I'm glad to see interest! Yes, I need to do some spring cleaning on my
fork, as all except 2 branches have been merged.

I recommend you use this branch, as it has all the new features I
presented at the community call:
https://github.com/uosl/bluegenes/tree/feature/new-report-results-page

I don't have anything more on the TODO list for that branch, so I'll try
to take time to merge it this week (there's still some improvements to
im-tables-3 I'm going to make before releasing 0.11.0 though).

You can also run local Bluegenes builds with gradle if you do `lein
install` and make sure your gradle.properties points to the same
Bluegenes version. Let me know if you have any more questions or feedback!

Kevin

On 11/10/20 10:31 PM, Sam Hokin wrote:

> Hi, folks, especially Kevin. I wanted to play around with the new
> bluegenes version you demoed last week, but the current dev branch
> under intermine seems to be a previous version. So I looked under uosl
> and found lots and lots of branches, each seeming to be specific to a
> particular new feature (which is a good way to do things), but without
> a merged one. dev is even with intermine:dev.
>
> Which branch would you recommend I play with? Or should I just wait
> until you release 0.11.0 on the intermine repo? At some point I need
> to hop on the bluegenes bandwagon, but if it's still a fast-moving
> target, I'll wait another year or so. Maybe it doesn't matter for
> things I want to do, but Kevin's new features seemed pretty
> significant to me.

Re: Latest greatest bluegenes branch?

Daniela Butano-2
Hi Sam,
not sure what you want to test, but if you want BG running locally you
need also an intermine backend to support the new funstionalities.
You have the following options:
1. let's BG pointing to alpha.flymine backend
2. re-install intermine locally using the branch
https://github.com/danielabutano/intermine/tree/google-auth (which is
the same branch used to redeploy alpha.flymine)
3. wait until middle of the next week when -hopefully- I should be able
merged my local branch into intermine/bluegenes branch

Daniela

> Hello Sam,
>
> I'm glad to see interest! Yes, I need to do some spring cleaning on my
> fork, as all except 2 branches have been merged.
>
> I recommend you use this branch, as it has all the new features I
> presented at the community call:
> https://github.com/uosl/bluegenes/tree/feature/new-report-results-page
>
> I don't have anything more on the TODO list for that branch, so I'll
> try
> to take time to merge it this week (there's still some improvements to
> im-tables-3 I'm going to make before releasing 0.11.0 though).
>
> You can also run local Bluegenes builds with gradle if you do `lein
> install` and make sure your gradle.properties points to the same
> Bluegenes version. Let me know if you have any more questions or
> feedback!
>
> Kevin
>
> On 11/10/20 10:31 PM, Sam Hokin wrote:
>> Hi, folks, especially Kevin. I wanted to play around with the new
>> bluegenes version you demoed last week, but the current dev branch
>> under intermine seems to be a previous version. So I looked under uosl
>> and found lots and lots of branches, each seeming to be specific to a
>> particular new feature (which is a good way to do things), but without
>> a merged one. dev is even with intermine:dev.
>>
>> Which branch would you recommend I play with? Or should I just wait
>> until you release 0.11.0 on the intermine repo? At some point I need
>> to hop on the bluegenes bandwagon, but if it's still a fast-moving
>> target, I'll wait another year or so. Maybe it doesn't matter for
>> things I want to do, but Kevin's new features seemed pretty
>> significant to me.

Re: Latest greatest bluegenes branch?

Sam Hokin-3
Ahhh good to know, I didn't know the new bluegenes stuff required new server-side API functionality. I'll play around with it just
to gain some familiarity, but not bug you if stuff doesn't work before the merges. But isn't intermine/bluegenes just the
client-side stuff? Wouldn't you merge the intermine backend into a branch on intermine/intermine?

As for what I'm testing: my ability to work with bluegenes. :) I do have some displayers and stuff that I'll want to migrate to
bluegenes, perhaps with something other than canvasXpress. That sort of thing. I'm in a pause on the LIS mines (all have been
updated recently, with all data sourced from LIS datastore files, a long-time goal), so a bit of "bench" work is possible. :)

On 11/11/20 6:32 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Sam,
> not sure what you want to test, but if you want BG running locally you need also an intermine backend to support the new
> funstionalities.
> You have the following options:
> 1. let's BG pointing to alpha.flymine backend
> 2. re-install intermine locally using the branch https://github.com/danielabutano/intermine/tree/google-auth (which is the same
> branch used to redeploy alpha.flymine)
> 3. wait until middle of the next week when -hopefully- I should be able merged my local branch into intermine/bluegenes branch
>
> Daniela

Re: Latest greatest bluegenes branch?

K.H. Reierskog
Only the saving of the report page layouts needs a new server-side API,
but you are still able to create layouts and look at them (you just
won't be able to save them and have them apply to other users). There
are some other new web services as well, but mines without them should
be handled gracefully with an informative message.

By intermine/bluegenes I think Daniela means the bluegenes branch on the
Intermine repo, so yes that will get merged into the main Intermine
branch at some point.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out! [=
For the initial 1.0 release, we want to get Bluegenes to a point where
it would be preferable to the legacy JSP webapp for new end users. The
JSP webapp would still be necessary for mine admins to create/edit
templates and some other administrative tasks, which we'll focus on
adding to Bluegenes post-release.

Kevin