Latest stable GBrowse release?

Dan Bolser-3
Hi, git seems to show release-2_21 as the latest stable release (if
I'm reading the list of branches correctly). Is that right?

Cheers,
Dan.

Re: Latest stable GBrowse release?

Scott Cain
Hi Dan,

The most recent release is 2.39. I'm no git guru (and I'm on my
phone), so I don't know how to interpret what you're seeing. There is
no such thing as an older "stable" release :-)

Scott

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 4, 2011, at 11:17 AM, Dan Bolser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, git seems to show release-2_21 as the latest stable release (if
> I'm reading the list of branches correctly). Is that right?
>
> Cheers,
> Dan.
>
> ---
> ---
> ---

Re: Latest stable GBrowse release?

Dan Bolser-3
git branch -r gives the following:

  origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  origin/berkeley-gadfly
  origin/bigwig_gff_prep
  origin/branch-1_47
  origin/cnvandev
  origin/development
  origin/gbrowse-session
  origin/gbrowse-session-template
  origin/gbrowse-template-branch
  origin/idavies_gbrowse-common_branch_20090615
  origin/idavies_gbrowse_common_base_20090617
  origin/lstein
  origin/master
  origin/nliles_gbrowse_circular
  origin/package-tools
  origin/postgres_gbrowse_syn_load_alignments_msa
  origin/reference-gbrowse-template
  origin/release-2_09
  origin/release-2_17-bugfixes
  origin/release-2_21
  origin/release_1_62
  origin/release_1_62-bugfixes
  origin/sonu2
  origin/sonudev2
  origin/sonudev3
  origin/sonuipaddev
  origin/stable
  origin/syn_2x
  origin/syn_2x_modules

Which one of those is 2.39?

Ahh... I see a tag called release-2_39. That must be what I'm after.

Cheers,
Dan.

On 4 August 2011 17:00, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> The most recent release is 2.39. I'm no git guru (and I'm on my phone), so I
> don't know how to interpret what you're seeing. There is no such thing as an
> older "stable" release :-)
>
> Scott
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 4, 2011, at 11:17 AM, Dan Bolser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi, git seems to show release-2_21 as the latest stable release (if
>> I'm reading the list of branches correctly). Is that right?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dan.

Re: Latest stable GBrowse release?

Fields, Christopher J
Dan,

Releases are tagged.  A tag is a specific timepoint in a branch, so it's perfect for this purpose. This gives a short answer to git tags vs branches (The second answer is the more specific one):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1457103/what-is-the-difference-between-a-tag-and-a-branch-in-git

<tangent>
BTW, SVN removes this distinction to a large extent; you can make commits to tags and branchs, as they are just copies of a directory like a branch.  Their expected usage in svn is defined by the name alone.  Creating a tag in SVN is the same as creating a branch, just in a different 'tags' directory:

svn copy http://foo/repos/project/trunk http://foo/repos/project/tags/0.1 -m "v 0.1"
svn copy http://foo/repos/project/trunk http://foo/repos/project/branches/fix_bug -m "bug fix branch"
</tangent>

Anyway, to see git tags for a repo use 'git tag', and to check it out first clone the repo and then use 'git checkout <tag>'.

chris