List Objects

kkarra@stanford.edu
Hi,

I see in FAQ that a List can have objects of 1 type and that you cannot make mixed lists at the moment.

I was wondering if this applies for sub-classes as well. For example in my data model, I have

ORF----extends---->Protein_Coding_Gene-----extends----->Gene
TRNA_Gene----extends----->NcRNA_Gene---extends------->Gene

If in the List Upload I paste an identifier (sup2; you can check this on public YeastMine) that is common to TRNA_Gene and ORF, is that considered a mixed list?

I am seeing the following errors (pasting main bits) and so I am thinking these type of objects cannot be mixed, but, wanted to check with you all.

05/08/10,09:59:49 ERROR org.intermine.web.struts.InterMineExceptionHandler     - java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Failed to resolve path on object

Caused by: org.intermine.pathquery.PathException: ClassDescriptor from the start of path: ORF is not a superclass of the class: TRNA_Gene while resolving object:

05/08/10,09:59:49 ERROR org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag     - ServletException in '/bagUploadConfirmIssue.jsp': javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Error - tag importAttribute : property 'resultElementMap' not found in context. Check tag syntax

Thanks,
-Kalpana

Re: List Objects

Richard Smith
Hi Kalpana,
This isn't to do with mixed lists.  That comment in the FAQ is about,
e.g. creating a list of Genes and adding Proteins to it.  You can of
course create a list BioEntity (a common superclass) if that's what you
really want to do.

This looks like a bug that isn't related.  It seems to be in the display
code as it's trying to render the issues.  And it may be because sup2
has matched objects of two different classes.

I'll need to look at the code in a bit more detail to work out what's
going on.  Thanks for letting us know.

Richard.