Local Webgbrowse Installation Slower than Online Hosted for Common Data Set

Local Webgbrowse Installation Slower than Online Hosted for Common Data Set

Prakhar Gaur
Hello,

The local installation of Webgbrowse with Gbrowse2 is  working fine.

Presently its hosted on a machine on our local network, with machine
specifications:
CPU: Intel i3 530 @ 2.93GHz (4 core)
RAM: Crosair 8Gb
OS: Fedora 16  3.3.0-4

For our own data, searches while the browser is being hosted at Indiana
University servers is faster than on the local machine I mentioned.

Any recommendation/Minimal requirement for OS and Hardware for better
performance?

I have noticed that, the RAM consumption is not high. When multiple tasks are performed then gbrowse automatically spawns threads.
So will a multi core processor(say 8 cores)and a Solid State Drive, improve things?

What is the configuration of the Indiana University servers that host the online version.

Thanking you,
--
Prakhar Gaur

Re: Local Webgbrowse Installation Slower than Online Hosted for Common Data Set

Ram Podicheti-2
Prakhar,
Even though WebGBrowse provides an interface to design your GBrowse instance, the instance itself is created by GBrowse. GMOD has provided its recommendations at http://gmod.org/wiki/Overview#Computing. The WebGBrowse server at CGB is a Sun Microsystems i86pc, with a memory of 65536 MB (64GB) and 16 core (i386 x 2400 MHz).

Ram

On Jun 12, 2012, at 7:01 AM, Prakhar Gaur wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The local installation of Webgbrowse with Gbrowse2 is  working fine.
>
> Presently its hosted on a machine on our local network, with machine
> specifications:
> CPU: Intel i3 530 @ 2.93GHz (4 core)
> RAM: Crosair 8Gb
> OS: Fedora 16  3.3.0-4
>
> For our own data, searches while the browser is being hosted at Indiana
> University servers is faster than on the local machine I mentioned.
>
> Any recommendation/Minimal requirement for OS and Hardware for better
> performance?
>
> I have noticed that, the RAM consumption is not high. When multiple tasks are performed then gbrowse automatically spawns threads.
> So will a multi core processor(say 8 cores)and a Solid State Drive, improve things?
>
> What is the configuration of the Indiana University servers that host the online version.
>
> Thanking you,
> --
> Prakhar Gaur

Re: Local Webgbrowse Installation Slower than Online Hosted for Common Data Set

Prakhar Gaur
Hello,

Thank you for the reply.
I will try a different hardware combination (SSD + 8 or more core
processor).
Hope it makes a difference.

Thanking you,
--