Maker installation fails for MacOSX

Katherine Balasingham
Hello!

I hope I am contacting the correct email - I have been trying to install Maker for a few days now on my Mac OSX version 10.14 Mojave.

It fails at the first few steps where it cannot install RepeatMasker, SNAP, or Exonerate. I have even tried to install these programs manually but Maker continues to fail to detect these packages or fails to install them properly. I did try using ./build package-name as well but to no avail. I ran ./Build installexes and ./Build installdeps but they constantly fail for those three programs only and I cannot find a solution online.

Could you provide me with the proper code to manually install these three programs so I can use Maker? I have checked online sources for these programs but then I run into the issue where configuring Maker does not seem to find these three programs if I install it separately, so I am stuck at this step.

Sorry for the long email I wanted to be explicit as I could be!

The error message I always get is:

ERROR: Failed installing RepeatMasker, now cleaning installation path...

You may need to install RepeatMasker manually.

Checking external program dependencies...

  requires:

    !  Exonerate is not installed

    !  SNAP is not installed

    !  RepeatMasker is not installed

ERRORS/WARNINGS FOUND IN PREREQUISITES.  You may wish to install the programs

indicated above before proceeding with this installation.

Run 'Build installexes' to install missing prerequisites.

Sincerely,

Katherine Balasingham

PS: I have never installed these programs before at all so I do not have older versions interfering with Maker.

Re: Maker installation fails for MacOSX

Carson Holt-2
The problem is OSX. It has gradually moved out of compatibility with other Linux distributions over the years.  You will need to install developer tools like Xcode, and perhaps even try homebrew to try and get around certain differences in OSX behavior..

Homebrew —> https://brew.sh
Brewsci/bio (science packages) -> https://github.com/brewsci/homebrew-bio

After that 'brew install maker’ might work (cross your fingers).

—Carson