MongoDB?

Sam Hokin-3
Hiya, devs. Has anyone put serious thought into replacing PostgreSQL with MongoDB? Reading the architecture doc (I haven't worked
with MongoDB) it seems to be almost plug-and-play in that you can build the DB model directly from Java classes. It seems to have
very high-performance indexing. We may not only be able to get rid of the object store (which I consider to be an abomination from a
DB point of view) but also be able to do data update/merges (not so sure about that).

I'm pondering this as a side project and wonder if anyone's hit it already. Not giving up on Neo4j, just as a potential improvement
to the existing database design and performance, since our data model is written in Java.

mongodb-architecture-guide.pdf (2M) Download Attachment

Re: MongoDB?

Justin Clark-Casey-2
I haven't heard of anybody doing this but would be extremely interested to hear of any experiments in this area.  The objectstore is a big block of
hard-to-maintain custom ORM and it seems MongoDB has considerable popularity.  Unfortunately, I think replacing the objectstore in InterMine is going to be very
hard no matter what the alternate tech, but may be a cost that simply has to be bourne at some stage.