Only linux supported?

Jason Kwan
Hi Everyone,

I'm want to install ergatis on our lab mac, and I'm first trying it on my macbook.  The ultimate aim is to allow lab members to run pipelines through the ergatis interface but they are not going to be run on a grid.  When I try to test-run a pipeline on localhost with one component (rdp_classifier, that I have installed), I get this message:

Software error:

IdGenerator currently only supports Linux at Ergatis/SavedPipeline.pm line 355

First of all I'd like to know what the reason for this is so I can try to come up with a workaround.  I tried commenting out lines 189 and 190 from DefaultIdGenerator.pm,
just to see what would happen, but I keep getting the same thing.  I thought this might be some sort of caching issue (i.e. apache is loading the old script), but
I cleared the browser cache and restarted apache with apachectl, and I still get the same thing!  So I guess I want to know 1. why this error message exists, why generating
ID numbers should be linux-dependent, and 2. why commenting out those lines in DefaultIdGenerator.pm does nothing - do I have the wrong part/file?

Thanks for your help

Jason Kwan

Re: Only linux supported?

Joshua Orvis
Jason -

We have had some reports from Mac users but, generally, Linux has traditionally been the only supported platform.  The error you are running into was a hard-coded OS check because, at the time, the file-locking method of ID generation was known to not work on a Mac, but if you're using any other ID mechanism or not running NFS you can comment out that line of code and give it a try.  That quick fix has worked for others.

Joshua

2011/4/8 Jason Kwan <[hidden email]>
[...]

Chris Hemmerich

Jason,

  To expand on Joshua's answer - the Ergatis libraries may be installed in
two locations - in lib/Ergatis (tied to the backend) as well as in
cgi/Ergatis (tied to the frontend), and you'll need to resolve the Id
problem in both. This separation comes in handy when you the two portions
are on different machines or when you use a single web interface to
control multiple versions of the Ergatis backend.

  Cheers,
Chris