PAG Tripal Hackathon Meeting

Kucheran, Lacey Sanderson
Hi Everyone,

We would like to hold a Tripal Hackathon and/or Meeting before PAG 2017 since last years was so
productive and well received! :-)

We would like input from you as to whether you would find a meeting and/or hackathon most productive,
as well as, which days work best for you. Please fill out this doodle poll if you are interested!

Note: We would love to see a mix of developers, users and people just getting started with Tripal and will
determine content with that in mind (and based on who responds to the poll). Everyone is welcome!

Thanks!
~Lacey

Lacey-Anne Sanderson
Bioinformaticist
Pulse Crop Breeding and Genetics
Phone: (306) <a href="tel://966-3208">966-3208
Room 2C33 Agriculture
Department of Plant Sciences
University of Saskatchewan

Re: PAG Tripal Hackathon Meeting

Kucheran, Lacey Sanderson
Hi Everyone,

I’m excited to say there is enough interest to move forward with a Tripal Hackathon/Meeting before PAG: specifically on Thursday, January 12 (Hackathon) and Friday, January 13 (Meeting)!

As far as tentative agenda goes, we are planning on a round-table discussion similar to last year on Friday morning (8-12) with continued discussion open to other ideas (demo, hackathon, etc.) in the afternoon. As far as Thursday goes, it looks like there is interest in a hackathon-type meeting. We would love to get people from all experience levels together and are considering ideas such as helping each other make existing code sharable and implementing common download formats using the Tripal Download API.

If you can make it to either the meeting or Hackathon we would love to hear from you so we know how many people to plan for. Furthermore, if you have any ideas for hackathon topics, please pass them along!

On October 11, 2016 at 9:53:16 AM, Kucheran, Lacey Sanderson ([hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

We have been assigned Royal Palm Salon 4 at the Town & Country for both Thursday, January 12 (Hackathon) and Friday, January 13 (Meeting).

Please add your name to the attending list if your planning on attending. Also, I would love any suggestions people have for Hackathon or Discussion topics (2nd page)!

Hope to see you there!

On October 25, 2016 at 11:43:25 AM, Kucheran, Lacey Sanderson ([hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

Eliot Cline

I will definitely attend the two days. Besides learning how to do some basic development work, it would be very interesting to hear from experienced folks about their strategies for storing different types of data in Chado and accessing via Tripal. For instance, what is the best way to represent SNPs and their associated PCR primers? How about transcriptome data where the only reference is a transcriptome assembly? Associating functional annotation with genes, etc. While these things may seem obvious to some, it is not necessarily the case for Chado/Tripal newbies, especially as it seems there are multiple ways of doing things.

We have a Chado/Tripal installation with data for 7 crops, soon to be expanded to around a dozen. So I would be keen to hear from more knowledgeable folks any opinions about how we have stored things in our database and the modules we have developed to search that data.

Also, will Galaxy or JBrowse integration with Tripal be discussed?

Thanks and looking forward to attending,

Eliot Cline

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 6:04 AM, Kucheran, Lacey Sanderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

We have been assigned Royal Palm Salon 4 at the Town & Country for both Thursday, January 12 (Hackathon) and Friday, January 13 (Meeting).

Please add your name to the attending list if your planning on attending. Also, I would love any suggestions people have for Hackathon or Discussion topics (2nd page)!

Hope to see you there!
~Lacey

Lacey-Anne Sanderson
Bioinformaticist
Pulse Crop Breeding and Genetics
Phone: (306) <a href="tel://966-3208" target="_blank">966-3208