Presentations for GBrowse?

Dan Bolser-3
Hi everybody,

I have to give a talk about 'software tools for molecular biologists
and breeders', and I'm going to be describing GB to them. Is there any
nice 'promotional' material that I can use to give an overview of GB?

If there are not special purpose slides, I'd really appreciate any
'donations' of presentations on the wiki (naturally, I'll put my
finished slides there too).

Where on the wiki should I be looking / Where on the wiki should
people be uploading talks about GB?

Cheers,
Dan.

Re: Presentations for GBrowse?

Scott Cain
Hi Dan,

Dave will no doubt have a better answer than me, but I would start by
looking on the wiki at things tagged with the GBrowse category:

  http://gmod.org/wiki/Category:GBrowse

At the bottom of that page are media files (mostly pdf) that have that tag.

Scott

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Dan Bolser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have to give a talk about 'software tools for molecular biologists
> and breeders', and I'm going to be describing GB to them. Is there any
> nice 'promotional' material that I can use to give an overview of GB?
>
> If there are not special purpose slides, I'd really appreciate any
> 'donations' of presentations on the wiki (naturally, I'll put my
> finished slides there too).
>
> Where on the wiki should I be looking / Where on the wiki should
> people be uploading talks about GB?
>

> Cheers,
> Dan.

Re: Presentations for GBrowse?

Dan Bolser-3
Thanks for the prompt reply Scot (how did you know this was last minute ;-)

The only presentations I've been able to find on the wiki are all
rather technical. I'm looking for something a bit like 'GBrowse for
n00bs' (except of course, that title wouldn't be understood!).

For example, I really think that I need to describe every detail of a
canonical gene as displayed by GB. Not that biologists don't know
about gene structure, of course they do, however, knowing how all the
precise terms fit together into the canonical model, and how that is
represented in GB can get confusing (to me at least).

On 16 June 2010 15:41, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Dave will no doubt have a better answer than me, but I would start by
> looking on the wiki at things tagged with the GBrowse category:
>
>  http://gmod.org/wiki/Category:GBrowse
>
> At the bottom of that page are media files (mostly pdf) that have that tag.
>
> Scott
>

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Dan Bolser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I have to give a talk about 'software tools for molecular biologists
>> and breeders', and I'm going to be describing GB to them. Is there any
>> nice 'promotional' material that I can use to give an overview of GB?
>>
>> If there are not special purpose slides, I'd really appreciate any
>> 'donations' of presentations on the wiki (naturally, I'll put my
>> finished slides there too).
>>
>> Where on the wiki should I be looking / Where on the wiki should
>> people be uploading talks about GB?
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Dan.

> Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                   scott at scottcain dot net
> GMOD Coordinator (http://gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087
> Ontario Institute for Cancer Research

Re: Presentations for GBrowse?

Scott Cain
Hi Dan,

Sorry, I can't think of anything like that, other than the OpenHelix
GBrowse tutorial, but it's not a presentation:

  http://www.openhelix.net/cgi/tutorialInfo.cgi?id=5

Scott

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Dan Bolser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the prompt reply Scot (how did you know this was last minute ;-)
>
> The only presentations I've been able to find on the wiki are all
> rather technical. I'm looking for something a bit like 'GBrowse for
> n00bs' (except of course, that title wouldn't be understood!).
>
> For example, I really think that I need to describe every detail of a
> canonical gene as displayed by GB. Not that biologists don't know
> about gene structure, of course they do, however, knowing how all the
> precise terms fit together into the canonical model, and how that is
> represented in GB can get confusing (to me at least).
>

> On 16 June 2010 15:41, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> Dave will no doubt have a better answer than me, but I would start by
>> looking on the wiki at things tagged with the GBrowse category:
>>
>>  http://gmod.org/wiki/Category:GBrowse
>>
>> At the bottom of that page are media files (mostly pdf) that have that tag.
>>
>> Scott
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Dan Bolser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I have to give a talk about 'software tools for molecular biologists
>>> and breeders', and I'm going to be describing GB to them. Is there any
>>> nice 'promotional' material that I can use to give an overview of GB?
>>>
>>> If there are not special purpose slides, I'd really appreciate any
>>> 'donations' of presentations on the wiki (naturally, I'll put my
>>> finished slides there too).
>>>
>>> Where on the wiki should I be looking / Where on the wiki should
>>> people be uploading talks about GB?
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Dan.

>> --
>> Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                   scott at scottcain dot net
>> GMOD Coordinator (http://gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087

Re: Presentations for GBrowse?

Scott Cain
Doh!  There is a powerpoint, and there are even handouts.  That might
be your best bet.

Scott

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Sorry, I can't think of anything like that, other than the OpenHelix
> GBrowse tutorial, but it's not a presentation:
>
>  http://www.openhelix.net/cgi/tutorialInfo.cgi?id=5
>
> Scott
>

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Dan Bolser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks for the prompt reply Scot (how did you know this was last minute ;-)
>>
>> The only presentations I've been able to find on the wiki are all
>> rather technical. I'm looking for something a bit like 'GBrowse for
>> n00bs' (except of course, that title wouldn't be understood!).
>>
>> For example, I really think that I need to describe every detail of a
>> canonical gene as displayed by GB. Not that biologists don't know
>> about gene structure, of course they do, however, knowing how all the
>> precise terms fit together into the canonical model, and how that is
>> represented in GB can get confusing (to me at least).
>>

>> On 16 June 2010 15:41, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Dan,
>>>
>>> Dave will no doubt have a better answer than me, but I would start by
>>> looking on the wiki at things tagged with the GBrowse category:
>>>
>>>  http://gmod.org/wiki/Category:GBrowse
>>>
>>> At the bottom of that page are media files (mostly pdf) that have that tag.
>>>
>>> Scott

>>> --
>>> Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                   scott at scottcain dot net
>>> GMOD Coordinator (http://gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087
>>> Ontario Institute for Cancer Research

> Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                   scott at scottcain dot net
> GMOD Coordinator (http://gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087
> Ontario Institute for Cancer Research

Re: Presentations for GBrowse?

Dan Bolser-3
Thanks Scott,

I've found that one or two of the presentations have one or two useful
slides too.

Rob Buels also suggested presentationizing this:

http://gmod.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gmod/Generic-Genome-Browser/trunk/htdocs/general_help.html

(although he didn't use that exact word).