Problem with http://localhost/cgi-bin/gbrowse/volvox

Michał Wojcieszek
Hello,

I've just installed GBrowse 1.70 on Ubuntu and I started the online tutorial. Everything was ok until I wanted to run http://localhost/cgi-bin/gbrowse/volvox in browser. I get 404 not found error. I tried solutions in tutorial but it didn't solve the problem. I checked the error log in apache and it showed that

[Mon Dec 19 11:59:09 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script not found or unable to stat: /usr/lib/cgi-bi
n/gbrowse/volvox, referer: http://localhost/gbrowse/tutorial/tutorial.html
[Mon Dec 19 11:59:28 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /var/www/gbrowse/volvox

I checked and there are no this volvox files or folders in gbrowse folder in both locations.
So what can be wrong because I was doing everything exactly to instructions in tutorial?

Looking forward for Yours answers

Best Regards

Michal Wojcieszek

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Problem with http://localhost/cgi-bin/gbrowse/volvox

Scott Cain
Hi Michael,

Is there a reason that you are using GBrowse 1.70 rather than the most
recent release of GBrowse2 (I think we're at 2.44)?  I'll be happy to
help you with this, but it occurs to me that you might what the newest
version first.

Scott

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Problem with http://localhost/cgi-bin/gbrowse/volvox

Scott Cain
Hi Michal,

Please keep your correspondence on the mailing list so the
conversations can be archived.

I don't know if it will fix the problem or not--I just didn't want you
to spend time fixing a problem only to realize that you didn't want
that version anyway.  GBrowse2 is much better than GBrowse 1.70 in
several respects, so that is what most people want.  While some of the
text hasn't be internationalized, it still should be fairly usable by
non-English speakers.

As for your first attempt, it seems like you had an installation
problem.  This sometimes happens when apache isn't correctly installed
before you try to install GBrowse.  Before you try to install
GBrowse2, check that a directory like /usr/local/apache2 didn't get
created by the GBrowse installer, and if it did, remove it.

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Problem with http://localhost/cgi-bin/gbrowse/volvox

Michał Wojcieszek
Hi again

Your answers helped me. I've installed version 2.44. And it almost worked. I'm sending You a screen-shot from program after I've started it. It look ok but contains no data. I've double checked that files volvox_remarks.gff3 and volvox.conf are in right places. So now I again don't know where the problem is.

Best regards

Michael

Screenshot at 2011-12-20 14:39:31.jpg (125K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with http://localhost/cgi-bin/gbrowse/volvox

Scott Cain
Hi Michal,

Actually, I think GBrowse can find the data, otherwise you'd get a
"Not found" message.  Instead, that part of GBrowse thinks its working
just fine, but you aren't seeing the appropriate images.  Look in your
/etc/gbrowse2/GBrowse.conf file for the tmp_base entry (on my computer
it's /var/tmp/gbrowse2).  Check that it exists and is writable by the
apache.  You can also look in the apache error_log, where there are
probably error message about not finding files (which will tell you
where GBrowse is looking as well).

Scott

2011/12/20 Michał Wojcieszek <[hidden email]>:

> Hi again
>
> Your answers helped me. I've installed version 2.44. And it almost worked.
> I'm sending You a screen-shot from program after I've started it. It look ok
> but contains no data. I've double checked that files volvox_remarks.gff3 and
> volvox.conf are in right places. So now I again don't know where the problem
> is.
>
> Best regards
>
> Michael
>
> W dniu 19 grudnia 2011 20:46 użytkownik Scott Cain <[hidden email]>
> napisał:
>
>> Hi Michal,
>>
>> Please keep your correspondence on the mailing list so the
>> conversations can be archived.
>>
>> I don't know if it will fix the problem or not--I just didn't want you
>> to spend time fixing a problem only to realize that you didn't want
>> that version anyway.  GBrowse2 is much better than GBrowse 1.70 in
>> several respects, so that is what most people want.  While some of the
>> text hasn't be internationalized, it still should be fairly usable by
>> non-English speakers.
>>
>> As for your first attempt, it seems like you had an installation
>> problem.  This sometimes happens when apache isn't correctly installed
>> before you try to install GBrowse.  Before you try to install
>> GBrowse2, check that a directory like /usr/local/apache2 didn't get
>> created by the GBrowse installer, and if it did, remove it.
>>
>> Scott
>>

>> 2011/12/19 Michał Wojcieszek <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi
>> > I've installed version 1.70 because on the gmod.org it was said that
>> > version
>> > 2. is considered stable but doesn't have full internalization support so
>> > I've thought version 1.70 would be better. But if You say that 2.44
>> > would
>> > resolve my problems I will happily change it to the newest version.
>> > Thank You for Your help
>> > Michael

>> --
>> Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                   scott at scottcain
>> dot net
>> GMOD Coordinator (http://gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087

Re: Problem with http://localhost/cgi-bin/gbrowse/volvox

Michał Wojcieszek

Hi

It's me again. I found the source of the problem. The folder /var/cache/gbrowse/images/volvox is missing. Actually the whole folder images is missing with subfolders yeast and population demo ( It was showed in error log of apache2). So I have a question, where i can find this folder images? And also why there in cashe is only folder for gbrowse and no for gbrowse2 like in /var/lib/gbrowse2 or /etc/gbrowse2 or /var/www/gbrowse2? Also there is only folder for gbrowse in /usr/share/gbrowse and no folder gbrowse2. Is this normal or something is wrong with installation?

Thank You for Your answers an patience

Michael

W dniu 20 grudnia 2011 17:28 użytkownik Scott Cain <[hidden email]> napisał:
> [...]

>> before you try to install GBrowse.  Before you try to install
>> GBrowse2, check that a directory like /usr/local/apache2 didn't get
>> created by the GBrowse installer, and if it did, remove it.
>>
>> Scott
>>

>> 2011/12/19 Michał Wojcieszek <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi
>> > I've installed version 1.70 because on the gmod.org it was said that
>> > version
>> > 2. is considered stable but doesn't have full internalization support so
>> > I've thought version 1.70 would be better. But if You say that 2.44
>> > would
>> > resolve my problems I will happily change it to the newest version.
>> > Thank You for Your help
>> > Michael

>> --
>> Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                   scott at scottcain

What is "tmp_base" set to in your GBrowse.conf?  I think the default
is /var/tmp/gbrowse2, that's where you'd find image, session and cache
files.

Scott

2011/12/21 Michał Wojcieszek <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
> It's me again. I found the source of the problem. The folder
> /var/cache/gbrowse/images/volvox is missing. Actually the whole folder
> images is missing with subfolders yeast and population demo ( It was showed
> in error log of apache2). So I have a question, where i can find this folder
> images? And also why there in cashe is only folder for gbrowse and no for
> gbrowse2 like in /var/lib/gbrowse2 or /etc/gbrowse2 or /var/www/gbrowse2?
> Also there is only folder for gbrowse in /usr/share/gbrowse and no folder
> gbrowse2. Is this normal or something is wrong with installation?
>
> Thank You for Your answers an patience
>
> Michael
>
> W dniu 20 grudnia 2011 17:28 użytkownik Scott Cain <[hidden email]>
> napisał:
>
>> Hi Michal,
>>
>> Actually, I think GBrowse can find the data, otherwise you'd get a
>> "Not found" message.  Instead, that part of GBrowse thinks its working
>> just fine, but you aren't seeing the appropriate images.  Look in your
>> /etc/gbrowse2/GBrowse.conf file for the tmp_base entry (on my computer
>> it's /var/tmp/gbrowse2).  Check that it exists and is writable by the
>> apache.  You can also look in the apache error_log, where there are
>> probably error message about not finding files (which will tell you
>> where GBrowse is looking as well).
>>
>> Scott
>>

>> 2011/12/20 Michał Wojcieszek <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi again
>> >
>> > Your answers helped me. I've installed version 2.44. And it almost
>> > worked.
>> > I'm sending You a screen-shot from program after I've started it. It
>> > look ok
>> > but contains no data. I've double checked that files volvox_remarks.gff3
>> > and
>> > volvox.conf are in right places. So now I again don't know where the
>> > problem
>> > is.
>> >
>> > Best regards
>> >
>> > Michael

>> --
>> Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                   scott at scottcain
>> dot net
>> GMOD Coordinator (http://gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087

Re: Problem with http://localhost/cgi-bin/gbrowse/volvox

Lincoln Stein
Hi All,

I will test out an install of GBrowse on a virgin system. I hope Michal's problems are not symptomatic of an installer problem.

Lincoln

2011/12/21 Scott Cain <[hidden email]>
Hi Michal,

What is "tmp_base" set to in your GBrowse.conf?  I think the default
is /var/tmp/gbrowse2, that's where you'd find image, session and cache
files.

Scott

2011/12/21 Michał Wojcieszek <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
> It's me again. I found the source of the problem. The folder
> /var/cache/gbrowse/images/volvox is missing. Actually the whole folder
> images is missing with subfolders yeast and population demo ( It was showed
> in error log of apache2). So I have a question, where i can find this folder
> images? And also why there in cashe is only folder for gbrowse and no for
> gbrowse2 like in /var/lib/gbrowse2 or /etc/gbrowse2 or /var/www/gbrowse2?
> Also there is only folder for gbrowse in /usr/share/gbrowse and no folder
> gbrowse2. Is this normal or something is wrong with installation?
>
> Thank You for Your answers an patience
>
> Michael
>
> W dniu 20 grudnia 2011 17:28 użytkownik Scott Cain <[hidden email]>
> napisał:
>
>> Hi Michal,
>>
>> Actually, I think GBrowse can find the data, otherwise you'd get a
>> "Not found" message.  Instead, that part of GBrowse thinks its working
>> just fine, but you aren't seeing the appropriate images.  Look in your
>> /etc/gbrowse2/GBrowse.conf file for the tmp_base entry (on my computer
>> it's /var/tmp/gbrowse2).  Check that it exists and is writable by the
>> apache.  You can also look in the apache error_log, where there are
>> probably error message about not finding files (which will tell you
>> where GBrowse is looking as well).
>>
>> Scott
>>

>> 2011/12/20 Michał Wojcieszek <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi again
>> >
>> > Your answers helped me. I've installed version 2.44. And it almost
>> > worked.
>> > I'm sending You a screen-shot from program after I've started it. It
>> > look ok
>> > but contains no data. I've double checked that files volvox_remarks.gff3
>> > and
>> > volvox.conf are in right places. So now I again don't know where the
>> > problem
>> > is.
>> >
>> > Best regards
>> >
>> > Michael

>> --
>> Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                   scott at scottcain
>> dot net
>> GMOD Coordinator (http://gmod.org/)                     <a href="tel:216-392-3087" value="+12163923087">216-392-3087

GMOD Coordinator (http://gmod.org/)                     <a href="tel:216-392-3087" value="+12163923087">216-392-3087

Lincoln D. Stein
101 College St., Suite 800
Toronto, ON, Canada M5G0A3
416 673-8514
Assistant: Renata Musa <[hidden email]>

Re: Problem with http://localhost/cgi-bin/gbrowse/volvox

Todd Harris
Personally, I think it would be simpler and cleaner if the installer did NOT assume or encourage an installation requiring root privileges or a specific apache configuration (guessed via apxs?). I always find the "should I update your apache config/should I restart apache" a bit heavy handed, especially since [y] is the default. There should be a single option: install root, preferably local. Everything goes there; if you want to tweak virtual paths this is done via config and rewrites.

Local installs remove the potential for library and conf file conflicts, one of the absolute biggest headaches if you are both trying to run a gbrowse installation and keep up with improved versions. Plus: rollback. Yay.

Ultimately, this would also be more flexible for those on shared hosting or with dedicated administrative support who may not take kindly to twiddling with their system. It would also be easier for the help desk if, for example, the installation was assumed to be at ~user or ~project with a known directory structure therein.

Todd