Problems with featureloc table

Cannon, Ethalinda K [COM S]
I don't know if this belongs on the Chado or Tripal mail list:

I'm getting an inexplicable error when attempting to add a record to the featureloc table, inexplicable because inserting a record into featureloc is such a fundamental task that this error can't possibly be due to a bug in the Chado schema or in Tripal. But I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Here's what happens when I try to load coordinates for a chromosome :

drupal=# INSERT INTO chado.featureloc
drupal-#   (feature_id, srcfeature_id, fmin, fmax)
drupal-# VALUES
drupal-#   ((SELECT feature_id FROM chado.feature WHERE uniquename='Pv01'),
drupal(#    (SELECT feature_id FROM chado.feature WHERE uniquename='Pv01'),
drupal(#    0, 52205531);
ERROR:  function create_point(integer, integer) does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT box (create_point(0, $1), create_point($2,500000000))
                    ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.
QUERY:  SELECT box (create_point(0, $1), create_point($2,500000000))
CONTEXT:  SQL function "boxrange" during inlining

I get the same error when attempting to SELECT records from featureloc. The Chado schema was loaded via Tripal and the function create_point(integer, integer) does in fact exist.

I tried using the Tripal feature loader (Administer/Tripal Management/Features/Import a GFF3 file) using a GFF file but that failed without reporting errors. Is there an error log lurking somewhere that I haven't found?

Ethy

Re: Problems with featureloc table

Mccormick, Ryan F
Ethy,

Regarding the create_point() not existing error, I think I had a similar problem previously. I think it stemmed from the function create_point() being defined in the chado schema within the drupal database, but it's not within the client search path. To get around it, I added the chado schema to the search_path variable in the pgsql config file (under the client connection defaults section); it seemed to resolve the problem. The Tripal/Chado developers may have a more appropriate/elegant fix though.

Ryan McCormick

Re: Problems with featureloc table

Cannon, Ethalinda K [COM S]
Thanks Ryan. I had a suspicion it had something to do with the schema name but didn't know it was possible in Postgres to set a default schema. We will explore a similar solution to yours.

I'm curious, though, why Tripal doesn't (appear) to set the default schema itself, so I'm posting this on the Tripal mailing list too. Again, this seems pretty fundamental and unlikely to be a bug in Tripal, so I'm wondering what I did wrong during installation.

Ethy

Regarding the create_point() not existing error, I think I had a similar problem previously. I think it stemmed from the function create_point() being defined in the chado schema within the drupal database, but it's not within the client search path. To get around it, I added the chado schema to the search_path variable in the pgsql config file (under the client connection defaults section); it seemed to resolve the problem. The Tripal/Chado developers may have a more appropriate/elegant fix though.

Ryan McCormick

Re: [Gmod-tripal-devel] Problems with featureloc table

Stephen Ficklin-2
Hi Ethy,

By default, postgres always searches the 'public' schema for tables and
will not search other schemas unless explicitly indicated in the SQL
statement (e.g. SELECT * FROM chado.featureloc).  Because Chado is not
in the 'public' schema you will need to set the 'search_path' variable
for the user or session of postgres if you are interacting with Chado
from any other tool (e.g. psql). This document will explain how to do
that: http://tripal.info/node/28.

Also, I read below that the GFF loader did not complete and did not
return errors.   If it does encounter an error it should return a
message both to the command-line and to the Drupal recent logs.  Could
it be that the job timed out in the middle of the load, or a connection
was interrupted pre-empting the job?  Let me know and I'll work with you
on it.

Hope that helps,
Stephen