Question about re-run of pipeline

Roxanne
If I rerun a pipeline, and only one of 608 actions in a component failed, will it re-run only the action that failed, or the entire component?

I have one which has been running for 1 day + 19 hours and is only about halfway done with one error.  I'm trying to decide if I should kill it and re-run or let it go, and re-run later, and it depends on understanding this behavior.

Thanks!

Roxanne Tapia

Re: Question about re-run of pipeline

Aaron Gussman
The "rerun" option has caused quite a bit of confusion here as well.

How do people on the list feel about renaming it to "resume" so that
it doesn't imply that it will start the pipeline over from the very
beginning?

2011/9/8 Joshua Orvis <[hidden email]>:

> When a pipeline is restarted it will only re-execute any job states that are
> not marked as 'complete'.  So if all your other ones run to completion
> successfully, and you click re-run, only that one failed one will be
> restarted.
>
> Joshua
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Roxanne Tapia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If I rerun a pipeline, and only one of 608 actions in a component failed,
>> will it re-run only the action that failed, or the entire component?
>>
>> I have one which has been running for 1 day + 19 hours and is only about
>> halfway done with one error.  I'm trying to decide if I should kill it and
>> re-run or let it go, and re-run later, and it depends on understanding this
>> behavior.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> Roxanne Tapia

> The "rerun" option has caused quite a bit of confusion here as well.
>
> How do people on the list feel about renaming it to "resume" so that it doesn't imply
> that it will start the pipeline over from the very beginning?

Renaming to "resume" definitely makes sense to me, if this is really what ergatis is actually doing.

Thanks,

Isabelle
--
Isabelle Phan, DPhil
Seattle Biomedical Research Institute

Re: Question about re-run of pipeline

Roxanne

So, just to clarify.  My component says:

states: complete (203) error (1)

It will just rerun the command(s) for the job that is in 'error' state?

On Sep 8, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Joshua Orvis wrote:

When a pipeline is restarted it will only re-execute any job states that are not marked as 'complete'.  So if all your other ones run to completion successfully, and you click re-run, only that one failed one will be restarted.

Joshua

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Roxanne Tapia <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I rerun a pipeline, and only one of 608 actions in a component failed, will it re-run only the action that failed, or the entire component?

I have one which has been running for 1 day + 19 hours and is only about halfway done with one error.  I'm trying to decide if I should kill it and re-run or let it go, and re-run later, and it depends on understanding this behavior.

Thanks!

Roxanne Tapia

Re: Question about re-run of pipeline

Chris Hemmerich

Yes.

If you ever need to rerun an entire component, you can click 'reset' in
the component before clicking 'rerun'.

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, Roxanne Tapia wrote:

> So, just to clarify.  My component says:
>
> states: complete (203) error (1)
>
> It will just rerun the command(s) for the job that is in 'error' state?
>

> On Sep 8, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Joshua Orvis wrote:
>
>> When a pipeline is restarted it will only re-execute any job states that are not marked as 'complete'.  So if all your other ones run to completion successfully, and you click re-run, only that one failed one will be restarted.
>>
>> Joshua
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Roxanne Tapia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If I rerun a pipeline, and only one of 608 actions in a component failed, will it re-run only the action that failed, or the entire component?
>>
>> I have one which has been running for 1 day + 19 hours and is only about halfway done with one error.  I'm trying to decide if I should kill it and re-run or let it go, and re-run later, and it depends on understanding this behavior.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> Roxanne Tapia

Re: Question about re-run of pipeline

Leo Han
The "resume" sounds better as it does continue from where the pipeline
was failed.

I'd suggest a "skip" button that provides better control on each steps
of the pipeline.  Consider a step failed, one can either rerun it, or
skip it.

-lianyi

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Aaron Gussman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The "rerun" option has caused quite a bit of confusion here as well.
>
> How do people on the list feel about renaming it to "resume" so that
> it doesn't imply that it will start the pipeline over from the very
> beginning?
>
> 2011/9/8 Joshua Orvis <[hidden email]>:
>> When a pipeline is restarted it will only re-execute any job states that are
>> not marked as 'complete'.  So if all your other ones run to completion
>> successfully, and you click re-run, only that one failed one will be
>> restarted.
>>
>> Joshua
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Roxanne Tapia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If I rerun a pipeline, and only one of 608 actions in a component failed,
>>> will it re-run only the action that failed, or the entire component?
>>>
>>> I have one which has been running for 1 day + 19 hours and is only about
>>> halfway done with one error.  I'm trying to decide if I should kill it and
>>> re-run or let it go, and re-run later, and it depends on understanding this
>>> behavior.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>>> Roxanne Tapia

$_=",rekcah rehtona tsuJ";s/.$/(print$&),''/e while length

Re: Question about re-run of pipeline

Jason Kwan-2
The thing about 'resume' though is that one might not associate it with an action to be taken after an error - people might wonder where the 'pause' button is.  How about a 'retry' button that only appears after an error?

Jason