Question regarding AutoDBI.pl

Eric Rasche-2
Developers/Dr. Cain,

 I'm looking at AutoDBI.pl, which I tries to 'extract' itself. It informs the user that it's extracting "With variable substitutions". Is this something that can be extracted safely into Bio::Chado::DBI.pm, or does it need to stay wrapped up? I couldn't find any host/site specific data being inserted into the module as it was written out.

I've looked over it a few times and as far as I can tell this looks safe, but I'm not 100% sure, and wanted to check.

Cheers,
Eric Rasche

--
Eric Rasche
Programmer II

Re: Question regarding AutoDBI.pl

Scott Cain
Hi Eric,

More goofiness: AutoDBI.PL used to self extract to chado/lib/Bio/Chado/AutoDBI.pm and fill in database connection string info from the config.  I've since rewritten AutoDBI.pm to use Bio::GMOD::Config instead.  I left the self extracting file in place though just to make life easier for me when making distributions.  What did that save me? Oh, probably 15 minutes :-)  So, yes, the extracted file could be used instead.

As a side note, I doubt if many people are using Bio::Chado::DBI (Class::DBI-based) anymore, but DictyBase might be, so we should leave it.

Scott

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Eric Rasche <[hidden email]> wrote:
Developers/Dr. Cain,

 I'm looking at AutoDBI.pl, which I tries to 'extract' itself. It informs the user that it's extracting "With variable substitutions". Is this something that can be extracted safely into Bio::Chado::DBI.pm, or does it need to stay wrapped up? I couldn't find any host/site specific data being inserted into the module as it was written out.

I've looked over it a few times and as far as I can tell this looks safe, but I'm not 100% sure, and wanted to check.

Cheers,
Eric Rasche

--
Eric Rasche
Programmer II
Center for Phage Technology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843

Re: Question regarding AutoDBI.pl

Siddhartha Basu
Hi Scott,

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Scott Cain wrote:

>    Hi Eric,
>    More goofiness: AutoDBI.PL used to self extract to
>    chado/lib/Bio/Chado/AutoDBI.pm and fill in database connection string info
>    from the config.  I've since rewritten AutoDBI.pm to use Bio::GMOD::Config
>    instead.  I left the self extracting file in place though just to make
>    life easier for me when making distributions.  What did that save me? Oh,
>    probably 15 minutes :-)  So, yes, the extracted file could be used
>    instead.
>    As a side note, I doubt if many people are using Bio::Chado::DBI
>    (Class::DBI-based) anymore, but DictyBase might be, so we should leave it.
>    Scott
We have more or less migrated to Bio::Chado::Schema for our database
work. For the pieces that still uses AutoDBI, we have a source tree
checked out locally to work with particularly Oracle backend. And those
will be removed in favour of BCS once we completey migrate to Postgresql(work in progress
now). So, more or less if AutoDBI get purged we should be alright. Thanks a lot for
raising that point.

-siddhartha