Re: [Gmod-gbrowse] gff3_validator

Robert Buels
Hi Prem,

Yes, it's unfortunate that the gff3 validator does not seem to be
supported anymore.  A perennial problem with bio software.  I poked
around in wormbase's dev wiki and bitbucket, could not find it.

There's a fork of it in SGN's github, here:
http://github.com/solgenomics/gff3_validator

I've often thought about starting a project to do an update or rewrite
of this one, mainly to get better performance, because SGN needs that.
Anybody having similar thoughts?

Rob

Prem Anand wrote:

> Hi
>
> Could anyone please point me to the right url from where I can
> download the command-line version of the gff3_validator.
>
> I got the following url from one of the validate_gff3 config files in
> the the wormbase software package, but the link is broken.
> http://dev.wormbase.org/validate_gff3_online/Validator-Files-2007-12-17.tar.gz
>
> Is there any other place from where I can get this tool? Any pointers
> would help.
>
> Many Thanks
> Prem

Re: [Gmod-gbrowse] gff3_validator

Prem Anand
Hi Rob

Thanks for the pointer.  Update/rewrite of the validator would
definitely be very useful.

Regards
Prem

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Robert Buels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Prem,
>
> Yes, it's unfortunate that the gff3 validator does not seem to be supported
> anymore.  A perennial problem with bio software.  I poked around in
> wormbase's dev wiki and bitbucket, could not find it.
>
> There's a fork of it in SGN's github, here:
> http://github.com/solgenomics/gff3_validator
>
> I've often thought about starting a project to do an update or rewrite of
> this one, mainly to get better performance, because SGN needs that. Anybody
> having similar thoughts?
>
> Rob
>

> Prem Anand wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Could anyone please point me to the right url from where I can
>> download the command-line version of the gff3_validator.
>>
>> I got the following url from one of the validate_gff3 config files in
>> the the wormbase software package, but the link is broken.
>>
>> http://dev.wormbase.org/validate_gff3_online/Validator-Files-2007-12-17.tar.gz
>>
>> Is there any other place from where I can get this tool? Any pointers
>> would help.
>>
>> Many Thanks
>> Prem

>> Nokia and AT&T present the 2010 Calling All Innovators-North America
>> contest
>> Create new apps & games for the Nokia N8 for consumers in  U.S. and Canada
>> $10 million total in prizes - $4M cash, 500 devices, nearly $6M in
>> marketing
>> Develop with Nokia Qt SDK, Web Runtime, or Java and Publish to Ovi Store
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/nokia-dev2dev

Re: [Gmod-gbrowse] gff3_validator

Vipin TS
Hi Rob,

I already started writing a GFF3 validator program and few converter tools(other formats to GFF3), I hope it will be finish within couple of weeks.

My projected task are:

1) Check the feature ID mapping in GFF3 file
2) Provide an overview about the source and features in GFF3 file

suggestions are welcome.

Vipin T S

Prem Anand wrote:
> Hi
>
> Could anyone please point me to the right url from where I can
> download the command-line version of the gff3_validator.
>
> I got the following url from one of the validate_gff3 config files in
> the the wormbase software package, but the link is broken.
> http://dev.wormbase.org/validate_gff3_online/Validator-Files-2007-12-17.tar.gz
>
> Is there any other place from where I can get this tool? Any pointers
> would help.
>
> Many Thanks
> Prem

Re: [Gmod-gbrowse] gff3_validator

Fields, Christopher J
Personally I think that's a great idea.  If it stays as Perl, +1 to also releasing the code to CPAN.

chris

On Nov 1, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Robert Buels wrote:

> Hi Prem,
>
> Yes, it's unfortunate that the gff3 validator does not seem to be
> supported anymore.  A perennial problem with bio software.  I poked
> around in wormbase's dev wiki and bitbucket, could not find it.
>
> There's a fork of it in SGN's github, here:
> http://github.com/solgenomics/gff3_validator
>
> I've often thought about starting a project to do an update or rewrite
> of this one, mainly to get better performance, because SGN needs that.
> Anybody having similar thoughts?
>
> Rob
>

> Prem Anand wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Could anyone please point me to the right url from where I can
>> download the command-line version of the gff3_validator.
>>
>> I got the following url from one of the validate_gff3 config files in
>> the the wormbase software package, but the link is broken.
>> http://dev.wormbase.org/validate_gff3_online/Validator-Files-2007-12-17.tar.gz
>>
>> Is there any other place from where I can get this tool? Any pointers
>> would help.
>>
>> Many Thanks
>> Prem

Re: [Gmod-gbrowse] gff3_validator

Hi Prem and Rob,

Sorry I missed this when it was sent; I was traveling then.  The
validator that used to be on WormBase is now at MODencode:

  http://modencode.oicr.on.ca/cgi-bin/validate_gff3_online

and is still supported.

Scott

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Prem Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rob
>
> Thanks for the pointer.  Update/rewrite of the validator would
> definitely be very useful.
>
> Regards
> Prem
>
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Robert Buels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Prem,
>>
>> Yes, it's unfortunate that the gff3 validator does not seem to be supported
>> anymore.  A perennial problem with bio software.  I poked around in
>> wormbase's dev wiki and bitbucket, could not find it.
>>
>> There's a fork of it in SGN's github, here:
>> http://github.com/solgenomics/gff3_validator
>>
>> I've often thought about starting a project to do an update or rewrite of
>> this one, mainly to get better performance, because SGN needs that. Anybody
>> having similar thoughts?
>>
>> Rob
>>

>> Prem Anand wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Could anyone please point me to the right url from where I can
>>> download the command-line version of the gff3_validator.
>>>
>>> I got the following url from one of the validate_gff3 config files in
>>> the the wormbase software package, but the link is broken.
>>>
>>> http://dev.wormbase.org/validate_gff3_online/Validator-Files-2007-12-17.tar.gz
>>>
>>> Is there any other place from where I can get this tool? Any pointers
>>> would help.
>>>
>>> Many Thanks
>>> Prem

>>> Nokia and AT&T present the 2010 Calling All Innovators-North America
>>> contest
>>> Create new apps & games for the Nokia N8 for consumers in  U.S. and Canada
>>> $10 million total in prizes - $4M cash, 500 devices, nearly $6M in
>>> marketing
>>> Develop with Nokia Qt SDK, Web Runtime, or Java and Publish to Ovi Store
>>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/nokia-dev2dev

Re: [Gmod-gbrowse] gff3_validator

Scott Cain
Or is that "ModENCODE"?  Oops, sorry about that :-/

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Prem and Rob,
>
> Sorry I missed this when it was sent; I was traveling then.  The
> validator that used to be on WormBase is now at MODencode:
>
>  http://modencode.oicr.on.ca/cgi-bin/validate_gff3_online
>
> and is still supported.
>
> Scott
>

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Prem Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Rob
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer.  Update/rewrite of the validator would
>> definitely be very useful.
>>
>> Regards
>> Prem
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Robert Buels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Prem,
>>>
>>> Yes, it's unfortunate that the gff3 validator does not seem to be supported
>>> anymore.  A perennial problem with bio software.  I poked around in
>>> wormbase's dev wiki and bitbucket, could not find it.
>>>
>>> There's a fork of it in SGN's github, here:
>>> http://github.com/solgenomics/gff3_validator
>>>
>>> I've often thought about starting a project to do an update or rewrite of
>>> this one, mainly to get better performance, because SGN needs that. Anybody
>>> having similar thoughts?
>>>
>>> Rob

> Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                   scott at scottcain dot net
> GMOD Coordinator (http://gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087
> Ontario Institute for Cancer Research

Re: [Gmod-gbrowse] gff3_validator

Prem Anand
Hi Scott

I did try the online one earlier, it works.  I was also looking for
the command-line version of the gff3_validator as the online version
had some limitations on the size and wonder if it is consistent with
SO updates.

Thanks
Prem

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Prem and Rob,
>
> Sorry I missed this when it was sent; I was traveling then.  The
> validator that used to be on WormBase is now at MODencode:
>
>  http://modencode.oicr.on.ca/cgi-bin/validate_gff3_online
>
> and is still supported.
>
> Scott
>

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Prem Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Rob
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer.  Update/rewrite of the validator would
>> definitely be very useful.
>>
>> Regards
>> Prem
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Robert Buels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Prem,
>>>
>>> Yes, it's unfortunate that the gff3 validator does not seem to be supported
>>> anymore.  A perennial problem with bio software.  I poked around in
>>> wormbase's dev wiki and bitbucket, could not find it.
>>>
>>> There's a fork of it in SGN's github, here:
>>> http://github.com/solgenomics/gff3_validator
>>>
>>> I've often thought about starting a project to do an update or rewrite of
>>> this one, mainly to get better performance, because SGN needs that. Anybody
>>> having similar thoughts?
>>>
>>> Rob

> Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                   scott at scottcain dot net
> GMOD Coordinator (http://gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087
> Ontario Institute for Cancer Research

Re: [Gmod-gbrowse] gff3_validator

Robert Buels
Hi Vipin,

Is that work on github?  Or where?

The set of functionality that I would start with for any validator would
be the functionality that the wormbase/modencode one already supports.

Rob

Scott Cain wrote:
> Or is that "ModENCODE"?  Oops, sorry about that :-/

Where's the version control repo for that?  Is it on github, or
someplace else?

Rob